Jestersix

Beware of fans on AI prime lights

rygh

Just a heads up.
I have 12 AI prime lights on my tank.
Love the light. Easy enough to program.
But the fans are unreliable.
Seems like I am on my third failure now.
Out of 12, that is a big percentage, and only somewhere between 1-2 years old.
Warranty is only 1 year.
They do sell replacement fans fairly cheap, so not the end of the world, but they are complex to replace.

Fans are also a bit noisy. Not so bad with 1 or 2, but with 12, it is definitely noticeable.

I’ve seen a few go out; some of the fans just need a good cleaning and I’ve found that a dab of lube will make the fans spin freely and silent.

My cats keep smacking them and breaking blades off the propellers in the AI Hydras. I have to keep a stash of spares on hand, but at least they're easy to replace.

If I remember correctly there is actually something in the Kessil manuals about taking their can shaped lights apart to clean them every now and then. Nobody does that, and this is the result. Be happy all you lost was a fan. I know a couple people with Kessils who didn't notice the fan failure and ended up with non-operational lights due to chronic overheating. It would be nice if there was a more obvious error though. I know someone who spent a solid year wondering why his Radions would randomly go out on him before realizing that a couple had failed fans and they were shutting off due to an overtemp error. I blow mine out so far and haven't had any issues across 12, but it's only been a year or two, and I may be getting lucky.

Back