Neptune Aquatics

Big Peninsula Tank Help

Hi! Im actually planning on buying a new house and with that comes the opportunity to buy... a bigger fish tank. Ive always wanted a peninsula styled tank and I thought the Waterbox 7225 peninsula seemed like a good option. This one --> https://waterboxaquariums.com/products/peninsula?variant=37457111351486

Anyways, for those of you with big tanks, I wanted to get your guy's opinion on the tank or if there are other brands I should consider.

I also have trouble understanding how the logistics with this size of tank would work. The tank is so large that it would take multiple people to move it. When it gets delivered I assume I would need to build the stand and then get a bunch of buddies or hire someone to put the tank on top of the stand?

With this tank, id probably just do an upgraded version of my current one except this time it would be a bigger anemone tank with new clownfish.

I would consider the red sea version of that tank through a LFS. This way if there is anything wrong with your order you won't be the one dealing with it. Also consider having the LFS do the install as well. Make sure the floor is well supported, you likely will need extra supports if its not slab on grade.

And for the moving the tank part once delivered dont worry about it. The club has suction cups yo borrow and you're super close to me. I can usually get a couple guys together to move any tank.

Be warned that some manufacturers get finicky about warranty if you do not use their stand.

Borrow BAR suction cups and provide pizza, and you should get plenty of volunteers.

For a peninsula tank, I have always thought they should be wider, not longer.
Think about the type of aquascape you want.

Reminder: Peninsula means twice as much glass to keep clean.

I have a Red Sea Peninsula 650 and I absolutely love the tank. Not a big fan of the stand - it makes me nervous.

Anyways, for those of you with big tanks, I wanted to get your guy's opinion on the tank or if there are other brands I should consider.
As mentioned Red Sea and IM make similar sized tanks as well, maybe look at Cade although I don't think they have one quite that large. Ian's idea of having a store like Neptune deal with it all is not a half bad idea either. Also Vincent is also hitting home a particular point, and that's when you go big you want to think about more than just the raw number of gallons it has, start thinking about other dimensions that you may want to explore like width and height. Although not too many make wide or tall tanks.

I also have trouble understanding how the logistics with this size of tank would work. The tank is so large that it would take multiple people to move it. When it gets delivered I assume I would need to build the stand and then get a bunch of buddies or hire someone to put the tank on top of the stand?
Well the tank you're highlight comes with a stand. Usually the stands go together similar to Ikea furniture, fairly easily not much worrying on your part, although some are definitely better than others. Then yeah, it will take multiple people to move it, they weigh a lot, more so if they're rimless (thicker glass). But yeah, put together stand, then put tank on stand, then run all the plumbing as necessary.

Not a big fan of the stand - it makes me nervous.
This is a concern I have while I dream of a larger tank. From my research I believe that Innovative marine, Cade, and Pro Clear all use aluminum in their stands.

With our risk for earthquakes I’m not sure which type of stand (mdf or aluminum) would handle the shake better.

If you haven’t already I’d suggest checking out reef dudes on YouTube for his 1 year review of the 7225 if you’re liking that model.

This is a concern I have while I dream of a larger tank. From my research I believe that Innovative marine, Cade, and Pro Clear all use aluminum in their stands.

With our risk for earthquakes I’m not sure which type of stand (mdf or aluminum) would handle the shake better.

If you haven’t already I’d suggest checking out reef dudes on YouTube for his 1 year review of the 7225 if you’re liking that model.

I have a Pro Clear 120g peninsula. They use added aluminum support columns in the stand but it's mainly wood. I have more peace of mind with it than the typical ikea style stands but I also had the wrong impression that it was all aluminum based on the pictures.

I have had a 210 gallon peninsula tank for over 10 years. Here is my advice...

Get a custom tank with steel stand, it will be MUCH safer if a the big earthquake ever hits. I like Crystal Dynamics and SCA (not sure they have steel stands)

If you do go with Redsea or Waterbox, add some 2x4's on the inside of the stand if possible.

Taller tanks look cooler but they are hard to reach the bottom if you have short arms (buy some plastic salad tongs to pick things off the bottom).

Back