Cali Kid Corals

bio-sea salt mix

So we are adding the water to our 300 gallon tank and are using bio-sea salt mix in our water. We have never used this salt before but since we are spending the big bucks to get the tank going we decided why not use the best salt too... so my question is.... is there anyone out there that has experance using this salt we mixed it in yesterday and it was cloudy so we gave it a day to mix and its still cloudy. All thats in the tank is rodi water that tested 0% TDS out of the unit and salt.
could this maybe be a bad batch or should we just wait a little longer
thanks

It has a tap water dechlorinator in it? Wow. I've never heard of a salt mix that has that.

Anyway, I've had water go cloudy when mixing it before, but I'm not sure what caused it. I think it might have been precipitation of calcium carbonate, perhaps due to adding salt too quickly or adding water to the salt (instead of the other way around) but I'm not sure.

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=4773.msg58011#msg58011 date=1223526321]
It has a tap water dechlorinator in it? Wow. I've never heard of a salt mix that has that.

Anyway, I've had water go cloudy when mixing it before, but I'm not sure what caused it. I think it might have been precipitation of calcium carbonate, perhaps due to adding salt too quickly or adding water to the salt (instead of the other way around) but I'm not sure.

[/quote]

So did you wait it out or start over?

[quote author=All4Cody link=topic=4773.msg58012#msg58012 date=1223526616]
[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=4773.msg58011#msg58011 date=1223526321]

[/quote]

So did you wait it out or start over?
[/quote]

I think I pitched it. It was only one or two gallons of water.

One other thought... if the salt mix is missing magnesium, that could cause calcium carbonate precipitation. Maybe test it for magnesium? You might also try mixing up a little more in a bucket (being sure to add the salt to the water while a powerhead is moving the water) to rule out your mixing method as the culprit.

Supposedly they are the company that also came out with that salt study. I don't think many of the old timers will even touch that salt.

[quote author=iani link=topic=4773.msg58029#msg58029 date=1223529718]
Supposedly they are the company that also came out with that salt study. I don't think many of the old timers will even touch that salt.
[/quote]

+1 and won't join this thread other then that. I know better.

FYI make sure you use IMO when talking about this salt, the company, etc. Talk like you are walking on egg shells as you actually are in this case.

Tropic Marin reef salt is a very good one that several members use. A bit pricey, but very good.

I used to use Instant Ocean for a long time, then Reef Crystals for a while.

I'm using SeaChem reef salt for now. I know a lot of people using that one.

Back