High Tide Aquatics

bioballs in a high current area. good or bad?

JRocha

Supporting Member
would bioballs in a high current area like 2000 gallons per hour running through them be a good thing in reducing nitrates and making good bacteria or would this just end up being a nitrate factory and an overall bad idea? Why or why not with your answers please. thanks. oh and yes I post the exact same questions on RC to see what kind of info and experiences people have.

I think most people are "ney" when it comes to bio-balls, for the simple fact that more times than not, they inevitably become a nitrate factory. Bio-balls get a bad rap in the reefing scene IMO, but only because the bio-balls are doing what they are supposed to. The bio-balls are house to an uncountable number of aerobic bacteria that break down ammonia, to nitrite to nitrate. For fish only systems, this works great, because nitrates are not typically an issue at large. In our reef tanks, bio-balls are almost too efficient, and break down ammonia (and in turn create nitrates) quicker than most people can remove them through water changes and such.
I would just make sure you have a sufficient amount of live rock in your tank, and be sure to run a protein skimmer (removes organic compounds before they can go through nitrification).
I definitely don't see bio-balls reducing
your nitrates. Also, bio-balls trap detritus :(
That said, I have seen a couple (literally) tanks utilizing bio-balls, and have no nitrate issues.
But those are just my two pennies :)

thanks for the response. are the tanks that you've seen have the bioballs sunmerged or dipped on? my tank is a 240 gallon and has 125 gallon refugium/sump. was thinking of having the bioballs submerged near my skimmer. and believe me that area has a great deal of flow passing through it. so the detritus problem I feel won't be too much of an issue. plus if I do decide to do this I was reading that you need to shake out the bioballs from time to time in saltwater outside of the tank to clean them as maintanence so they do not become nitrate factories.

trying to get stabalize my tank params. willing to try anything. my tank is going nuts right now. The tank has been set up for over 3 years and I am having new tank syndrome and a lot of microbubbles. more than anything want to lower my nitrates. they are at 15ppm. watere changes don't seem to do much. I think the rocks are leaching out nitrates cause I cleaned every part of my tank. I even removed my 4" sand bed which probably started the new tank syndrome. And for some reason after I did all that and did a 50 gallon water change 1 week, then a 35 the next, then a 70, my nitrates pretty much stayed the same.

15ppm really isn't that bad, especially if your phosphate is very low. With aggressive skimming and light feeding I'd imagine they would drop over the course of time.

Removing the sandbed from a 3 year old tank can take a long time to stabilize IME.

I don't think BIO-BALLS are going to help with nitrates.
From what I understand, you need an anaerobic zone for nitrate consuming bacteria to work.
I have heard of a nitrate reactor made of 4" PVC pipe stuffed with small diameter tubing. Maybe someone has a link to that.

tuberider said:
15ppm really isn't that bad, especially if your phosphate is very low. With aggressive skimming and light feeding I'd imagine they would drop over the course of time.

Removing the sandbed from a 3 year old tank can take a long time to stabilize IME.
Yeah I thought so on the sand bed issue. I like the BB look so much better and my fish get 4" of extra room. I will check my phosphates today. haven't checked them in i would say........ never. oops did I really just admit to that. To tell you the truth my tank was going great for past 3 years. Never tested anything and I mean nothing. my tank would grow corals and just about any fish without acclimation would survive like champs. I know not good from any stand point but I know when my tank is acting up by just looking at some specific corals in the tank. Anyway. so it is the fact that removing that much sand would have started my new tank syndrome again? but still wondering on the microbubbles issue that came out of nowhere. oI guess I just have to be patient and wait out the new tank syndrome. yay good times. thanks for the help

JAR said:
From what I understand, you need an anaerobic zone for nitrate consuming bacteria to work.
I have heard of a nitrate reactor made of 4" PVC pipe stuffed with small diameter tubing. Maybe someone has a link to that.
I figured as much everyting I read about them says they're a bad idea. I just added a ReefresH20 9"x9"x4" block which is supposed to help create the bacteria to remove nitrite, nitrate and ammonia. as for that link I wouldn't mind taking a look at it. thanks JAR. pretty funny that your screen name is the same as my initials.

JRocha said:
JAR said:
I figured as much everyting I read about them says they're a bad idea. I just added a ReefresH20 9"x9"x4" block which is supposed to help create the bacteria to remove nitrite, nitrate and ammonia. as for that link I wouldn't mind taking a look at it. thanks JAR. pretty funny that your screen name is the same as my initials.

Very funny!
Mine to!
How did that happen? :D

Have you tried using Purigen? I know they sell it in a bag already but I know I'll probably get flamed for suggesting it because a lot of people will say it works TOO well.

Back