Black Ocellaris Pre-Spawning Behaviors?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Euphyllia, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Does he have rotifiers? :O
    Gresham... Do you sell rotifiers locally??? :bigsmile:

2. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

Gresham just cuddles with them.

he already answered you earlier about him selling them locally on page2 ;)

3. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

sorry still incorrect. They will not remain juveniles if left in a family "clan". They won't grow as large as the female but they'll at least grow as large as the father.

Any LFS that sells Reef Nutrition can order you live rotifers and Rotifer Diet. You ca also buy direct from www.Reed-store.com (if you call they can probably send it ground to save you money since your "local" to them. I suggest getting rotifer diet, 1million rotifer culture and some Cloramx. Don't get the kit unless you want the book. Go to www.rotifer.com and click on "Small Systems (Home or Lab)". That should be all you need to know.

4. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Are they local enough where I can have my parents drive me out and buy them? Where is their main business located? :)

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Sorry, no "will call" any longer. The office (In Campbell on Hamilton) has no product (or the ability to hold product), it's all shipped from the farm and unless your last name is Reed, you ain't even gonna find out which city it's in :) The production facility location is kept secret as there are far too many trade secrets at it. I could tell you, but then I'd get fired an sued :(

6. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

And if you still somehow found out, you'd have to be made into rotifer chow :D

But at least that's better than what happens to the oysters :D

7. Roc

Roc Guest

Well since we are talking about how a post is taking.

I took yours as something that should start with a request to a member via PM, the intail post was one thing the one 2 posts later saying "Cite your source and quote the info!!!" was borderline rude, espically since I did cite MY source, now it may not have been the orginal source but then again IMO 90% of what I see posted I have seen before however I don't ask each and everyone posting to tell me not only where they got their info but also where the person they got it from got their info, if that was the case a LOT of posts on THIS board would need to have your plagerism policing, so get busy.....................

8. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Roc read your post. Info you were GIVING and then it starts into the info and many parts written in the first person. There was no delineation between your part of the post and of David's rundown. I'm not the only one that read it this way Roc/Imus.

read that first sentence you wrote ;)

can we move on now?

9. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

10. tuberider

tuberider Guest

I have a client who has an active culture of rotifers that he uses to feed his tank and raise baby clowns, they are actually quite easy to rear if given a stable environment. One thing though Matthew, there actually is a little routine to follow so it does require some discipline and consistency, if you're good with that then have at it. Shoot you bring a few containers to a BAR meeting and people will snatch those up like free pizza. :)

11. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Daily routine (twice a day). The website I posted is about the best you can find. It's written by people that produce the largest volumes sold commercially. No other company sells in such large volumes. Need a billion? N problem :lol:

12. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Jeff has about a billion everytime I go to his house, and one of the nicest mixed reefs in Emerald Hills (and certain parts of Redwood City :D )

13. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

Speaking of Rotifers, there was an interesting bit on them on NPR last week
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123067622

14. bookfish

bookfish Guest

Those are both in California right? I had to go to Livermore the other day. Passed a whole string of new places (new to me anyway). Maybe I should go beyond the East Bay some year...Hmmm.........

15. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

/wave

16. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Meh... I'm to lazy to go buy some so I'll just have my mum order them along with the rotifier culture container thingies..... Anyways, when the babies are mature enough (Like 2-3 months) I'll see who wants them and how many they want then I'll bring them to the BAR meeting to sell them to the people who wanted them... I'm thinking maybe $25 each or $45 for 2... I'll probably even trade them for anemones for my pair... so like 1 clown per inch of BTA... :bigsmile:

I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself, but I like fantasizing... :D
    It's just a matter of time before they'll actually be successful at breeding... then I may have a batch every 2 weeks! :D
    I think they need some ore encouragement... I think they may need a bigger anemone! :O
    Well, if anybody has any 15" GBTA for sale that is cheap send me a PM because I need something to top the size of their current host! :bigsmile:

17. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Why look for such a large 'nem?

18. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

They just like bigger anemones better. I bought one at AC that looked 8", but it turned out it was closed up... It is 14" which is why my clowns just love it. It's the reason the female chose a new spawning rock! It was only $70, so I was really happy! And IME, larger anemones seem to do way better. I've had a 10" RBTA for a year that is doing great. The reason all my other RBTA passed was because I went on vacation and there was a pH swing... The larger ones survive pH swings better than the smaller ones which is why my clowns and I prefer 8"+. The only RBTA that died while I wasn't on vacation was my 1st RBTA. I loved it so much I fed it every other day and the food rotted inside of him... Then I learned my lesson to feed 1 time ever 5-6 days. :bigsmile:
    Since my vacation back in July I haven't lost anything while I was home!

19. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Good luck on raising any clowns, but don't count your fishes before they're hatched. And after that, do lots of water changes :D

20. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

5 gallon bucket is best for rotifers, no need to by any thing fancy.

+1 on Norms post above mine. Most first clutches are rarely successful and if they are, in very low numbers. Be sur to keep you fish feed good right now :)