Cali Kid Corals

Black worms/culture - experience and places to buy - pros and cons

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
I got interested in the 'feeding blackworms approach' for naturally healthy and disease resistant fish.

Since this is an old school approach, has anyone tried it and experience to share?

Also, does anyone know where to buy them for breeding purposes?

IMG_1495.jpeg

I’ve feed black worms once in a blue moon. Paul B says white worms are the way to go. As they live longer in saltwater. He said black worms die when in contact with salt water right away. I never really paid attention. Some fish eat them some don’t. It’s not a miracle food. My dad use to swear by them for freshwater fish tho. You keep them in the frig and change the water daily. They live for about 5 days. Once they die. They rot. Smells really bad.
Anyways. 6 ave has them. They are a horrible fish store. They use to be a dollar but just 6 months ago they raised it to 3 dollars for the size of a baby’s palm.

I’ve feed black worms once in a blue moon. Paul B says white worms are the way to go. As they live longer in saltwater. He said black worms die when in contact with salt water right away. I never really paid attention. Some fish eat them some don’t. It’s not a miracle food. My dad use to swear by them for freshwater fish tho. You keep them in the frig and change the water daily. They live for about 5 days. Once they die. They rot. Smells really bad.
Anyways. 6 ave has them. They are a horrible fish store. They use to be a dollar but just 6 months ago they raised it to 3 dollars for the size of a baby’s palm.
I always hated to have to clean out this bucket at the store. But man fish ate them really fast.

Don't quote me on this but I remember having to always rinse them and the live brine before feeding because of possible junk being introduced into the displays (probably more of an issue for freshwater). And I think they fed on paper towels of all things.

But they need such a huge flat basin for aeration and it just looks so insane in a fridge.

Last edited:
I always hated have to clean out this bucket at the store. But man fish ate them really fast.

Don't quote me on this but I remember having to always rinse them and the live brine before feeding because of possible junk being introduced into the displays (probably more of an issue for freshwater). And I think they fed on paper towels of all things.

But they need such a huge flat basin for aeration and it just looks so insane in a fridge.
That’s what my dad told me too back in the day. My dad was super old school tho. All books. No internet.

The pick you posted of worms is from Eastern Aquatics? Which I've ordered from in the past. There used to be another local farmer out in the valley you had to call and order but but they were always outa stock since the heat or freeze would affect their breeding. Do not remember the name of them atm..Haven’t fed them in a while although did grab a baby’s handful from 6th Ave last month and tossed in the beta harem tank.

Back