Kessil

Bleach anemone

I got anemone that bleach really bad. It's totally white (the wife love it :~ ). How long would it take to go back to the normal color? I never have one that like. Any idea??

Karen should have a warning about feeding store bought raw shrimp. Some are soaked in a type of phosphate bath to give them more weight.

I know how to care for one.. I just wondering how long it usually take for the color to come back. a month.. two months or 3 or..??

A_Lee said:
I'd imagine it may vary from specimen to specimen

very true. No telling. I've seen them stay bleached for a long time.

Elite said:
I was told it's a GBTA..

Specimen to specimen as is it varies from animal to animal even within the genus/family/species. There simply is no telling how long it will take in other words. Way way WAY to many variables at play.

Almost one month and it improved just a little tiny bit.. This is gonna be a long battle :( ...
GBTA.jpg

Yeah at least it's a bit better now. It was totally white. You can't see in the photo but the tips are a bit darker now.

I spot feed once a week but it gets some everyday when I feed the fish. I feed it mysis, flake, cyclopeeze and golden pearl. No raw shrimp or silverside..

Euphyllia said:
Dosing Iodine helps increase zoxanthalle population. ;)

Myth - oh but wait, you said zoxenthalle, might be right aboutt hat one.

Zooxanthellae is the word your searching for. There is a group of hobbyists that feel that is correct but there is no scientific evidence that is true last I checked.

You can probably feed it more often than that. I had a totally bleached Sebae Anemone from the fish store (as they almost all are) and kept it alive for 6 months. After a while it starting getting these brown streaks in it. Then 1 month later is was totally healed.

GreshamH said:
Euphyllia said:

Zooxanthellae is the word your searching for. There is a group of hobbyists that feel that is correct but there is no scientific evidence that is true last I checked.

I'm sorry for my bad spelling... :(
But IMO I think it does help. And anyways, if it doesn't hurt anything and we aren't 100% sure that it is helping then wouldn't it be good to just try it anyways? :quest:

Euphyllia said:
GreshamH said:
Euphyllia said:

I'm sorry for my bad spelling... :(
But IMO I think it does help. And anyways, if it doesn't hurt anything and we aren't 100% sure that it is helping then wouldn't it be good to just try it anyways? :quest:

Um, dosing Iodine indiscriminately can be harmful, yes. Especially if the concentration of Iodine becomes too great.
Plus, it sounds as though you're speaking from your own experiences, which is fine -however I personally do not know of many people utilizing additional iodine supplementation to help bleached corals recover. I am sure if dosing Iodine was really something that made marked improvement in the recovery rate of bleached corals [to their recolonized state], everyone would be doing it.
Just my two pennies.

Matthew,

You're probably not testing for the iodine that you're dosing.

If that's the case, you're better off just doing water changes for maintaining iodine levels.

Back