Our mission

Bleached rocks

I got rocks from a fellow reefer about two months ago. This person said he bleached the rocks,, rinsed them out, and let them bake out in the sun. He told me when it came time for me to use these rocks, I should just rinsed them down, and let them dry out prior to use. Well two months later, here I am ready to use the rocks for my new tank. I hosed them down for 5-10 minutes. I do still notice a slight scent of bleach on the rocks. Is this normal? Do I need to do something more in order to use these rocks I have?

Best,Ant

I bleached and oxicleaned my rocks, add some of that tap water de-chlorinator to a bucket of hot water w/rocks inside. That did the trick for me.

Thanks Jason
I took the rocks outside and hosed them all down up and down, inside and out for another 15 minutes. They are all currently sitting in a container submersed in water (not hot water though) with a power head. I added SeaChem Prime to the water ... I heard this will neutralize any bleach. I'll let them soak for 24-48 hrs. How long did you let yours soak for?

it neulralizes a percentage of the clorine. I would let them soak then repeat process until the water tests clean

What percentage are we talking about? 40%? 99%?
I thought water conditioner would remove all of it; mainly because I follow dosage recommendations to de-chlorinate water for my freshwater tanks I'd imagine the Prime would remove all the chlorine, otherwise it would be pointless to use? Or do the rocks keep on leeching chlorine out?
I do not have a chlorine test kit, my olfactory senses make the calls ;)
Either way I significantly upped the dosage of prime in the container :)

[quote author=A_Lee link=topic=5463.msg67852#msg67852 date=1228784390]
What percentage are we talking about? 40%? 99%?
I thought water conditioner would remove all of it; mainly because I follow dosage recommendations to de-chlorinate water for my freshwater tanks I'd imagine the Prime would remove all the chlorine, otherwise it would be pointless to use? Or do the rocks keep on leeching chlorine out?
I do not have a chlorine test kit, my olfactory senses make the calls ;)
Either way I significantly upped the dosage of prime in the container :)
[/quote]

de clorinator is based on removing the trace amounts found in tap water, not the amount found in bleach. I have never personaly done this but the process makes sense. Without a test kit I guess it would just be a guess as to if you got it all.

Hopefully the rocks getting hosed down three different times for 15 minutes at a time, and drying, PLUS a 24 hr. soak in more than ample amounts of Prime gets rid of all of it. After all it is not as though the rocks were in bleach and then thrown directly into the container.
I guess my good ol' nose will have to be good enough :p

Back