Kessil

Born again on the Fourth of July

I want to share this with you guys.

About four years ago, very close friends to us gave us really bad news, Josue's father was informed ha had six months left to live; shocking and devastating for their family. It got to me bad as well; I saw in Josue Sr. and to this day still, a reflection of my grandfather whom I could not bring back to life after trying CPR on him...
Josue and Angelica are my son's godparents; we developed a nice, life-long-lasting relationship, we see each other from time to time but since the bad news every time the phone rang and it was a call from them I would thing something bad had happen.
Josue Sr. was seen at SFGH and referred to UCSF for treatment; both his lungs were not working properly and the only chance was a transplant. Year went after year and Josue Sr. reflected his illness, could not do anything that required effort, even getting dressed. His wife, a proof of love everlasting, has been with him and will be as vowed at the altar; she is a 24/7 nurse, caregiver, companion.
Back in June we saw both families, the Sr's and Jr's at a birthday party. I greeted Josue Sr. and talked for a bit, then had to go keep an eye on my son, Chukee Cheeses and no one to care for the door...
Don Josue (Sr) seemed different than the last time I saw him, the only thing keeping him alive was the carry on Oxygen bottle and a few meds I assume.
Angelica called the following week of July 4th. to let us know her father in law had the lung transplant done on the Fourth of July; I wondered why they did not call to let us know when it happened but I will not ask.
The family knew when the transplant was to take place, they'd receive a phone call and had to go to UCSF immediately; Fourth of July before 9:00pm and the Bay Bridge packed. Don Josue and Doña Eva told us that normally on festive dates, all their children go celebrate, gather, have fun, somewhere else but something happened that the kids decided to stay and not go out. So, they live in San Pablo and the drive into SF was silent, no one said a word. Josue and Angelica live in Sunnyvale, she stayed home with their kids and Josue drove up to UCSF.
I guess when you are told you have very little time to live and suddenly your chance for life is present, life itself might be more scary than living with the thought of "when the day comes". Once in surgery some things might go wrong and it was major surgery; the "What if?"
Wednesday 13th I took the day off, it was a rainy day in July and outside painting and water don't mix so I called my wife and went to see our friend.
It was something in the grounds of a miracle, we witnessed the result of faith and science, Don Josue was alive more than ever, lots of pain of course but his face had this glow, like he had cheated time and had gone 10, 15 years back in time; he was walking, no Oxygen or complicated medical equipment, only a couple IV needles to administer the medicine required, HE IS ALIVE AND WELL !!!
He was informed before surgery that both his lungs would be replaced and that is not very common.
So I will always have in my mind a special thought, a prayer for the donor and his/her family.

Back