Kessil

'Branded' corals

I've been perusing the various sites that sell coral including the various sellers on CL, RC etc

I see a lot corals with 'brand names' attached to the common name. Jason Fox this n WWC that.

Is it because they 'discovered' that variation or they happen to have a spectacular example of 1 n all frags get to have that moniker?

They seem to fetch a higher price or rather they seem to be expected to sell for more.

Are the variations that rare? If I buy a WWC whatever, can't I grow it n frag it n sell it for the higher prices n recoup the investment? How would I know that Jadon Fox Something really did come from him?

The brand usually means they discovered it or claimed to have discovered it. Usually the reason why they're higher is because it looks good. Then there's usually hype for a little while and people spend $$$$ buying it. After that 2 things can happen, one the coral is a slow grower or tends to melt = low supply=the price stays somewhat high. The second thing that could happen is that it grows very well = supply is high= the price drops. It all boils down to supply and demand for pricing.

Usually if a coral is bland or boring looking nobody cares to name it.

SOME people buy corals based on the brand name alone. You'll see a lot of people gobble up anything with Reef Raft on it, even though some of their pieces are meh looking (some do look really cool though) I personally don't care who discovered it or what lineage it came from.

As far as buying stuff in hopes for reselling. That's up to you. You gotta watch the reef market and see what sells. I'm buying a 3 polyp frag of Pink Krakatoa Zoas for 60$ this weekend. Their price has dropped significantly since WWC first "discovered" them but I know they still sell halfway decent usually around 20 to 30$ per polyp. They have a tendency to melt on you too. But then if I drove to the Chico area, this coral isn't too common and I might be able to sell it for 40$ per polyp, but I don't care to drive all the way up there. Again, supply and demand.

I know some people will buy expensive zoas, wait for some frags to grow, sell those frags just to break even.

I dont fall for that name stuff. People in this hobby make up their own names and say its this or that. I only buy what interest me regardless of what name is attached to it.

From my experience its all hype. Unless he went into the ocean and picked it out him self then I guess. I'm 100 % sure everyone get its from a wholesaler/distributor . The wholesale doesn't care if you rename it or what ever you want. You will see sometimes other websites with the same coral but different name because it came from the same wholesaler. They just put their store initials on it to say this one came from our store even though it maybe the exact same one from another. The wholesaler may not have it instock one month but will have it the next and start to flooding the market. kinda like the convict chalice. You also have to realize they fetch a higher price because rarely any wholesaler will sell you that one rainbow coral with out spending $1000 on "junk"coral. Don't expect to make a profit or flip it because coral growth rate is already slow enough and the odds are against you a lot of stuff can go wrong. Only coral I've seen grow super fast is pulsating xenias and some SPS if you bombard them with white light they'll look bleached but you'll have some quick growth probably need another three months down time to color them back up. Roses anemone would be the best investment. High Price low up keep . good luck

Reactions: Nav
The idea isn't so much a discovery bit but to say that this is the same coral that is in Jason Fox's or WWC's tank, fragged, cloned, fragged, cloned, the same one. Now for some people that's what they want, they want a piece of THAT coral, but it really doesn't say much of anything about who first discovered it. The problem is corals will usually never look exactly the same because environments they're going into is different, so who's to say if that really is that person's coral?

I dont fall for that name stuff. People in this hobby make up their own names and say its this or that. I only buy what interest me regardless of what name is attached to it.

Co-sign, all these hyping and naming plus the cost has gone worse every year and won't change from what I see the pattern has show.. it past comical. I buy the coral that I would like to look at in my tank not for the name,the hype, the rarity,

We've seen already 2-3K per eye chalices, 1K or so per polyp type zoanthids.. what's next? and how much worse will it get. With Branding, naming and always comes big $$$$ and don't want any part of that in this "Hobby"

I'm a reef hobbyist, not a collector, not a capitalist or profiteer.'

Back