Jestersix

Bug id: hard bug hanging out near encrusting monti

richiev

Supporting Member
I have a rainbow monti in my QT/isolation/frag tank. It was doing great, but for the past week or so I've noticed it has very little polyp extension, and there's a weird darkened spot on the top which I wasn't sure what to think of. I thought maybe it was just lighting, so I tried slightly different light amounts and no change. It's also not extending at night, so I figured it couldn't be too much light. Flow wise it's in a pretty medium flow spot.

The other day I happened to go to my desk after lights out, and when I looked I saw a bump next to it. I thought that was weird, but didn't think much. The next day it wasn't there, and I thought maybe I was crazy. I did a coral dip with MEcoral dip anyway today, to see if maybe that'd result in more polyp extension.

Tonight however I saw it again, in what I think is the exact same spot. So I tried using a baster to suck it from the plug, and then when it didn't move I tried crushing it. It didn't move at all, and it felt like a rock. So I figured I must be crazy, it must be part of the frag plug, and took a pic then walked away. However when I came back it was gone, so I wasn't crazy!

Pics of the bug:
PXL_20220210_052647194~2.jpg

I also today noticed two little holes in the side of the monti, that I didn't remember being there. I unfortunately don't have pics from this angle from awhile ago, so they might have always been there but I don't think they were:

PXL_20220210_013954846~2.jpg

Any thoughts? Am I just overthinking this and it's a weird coincidence and it's just a friendly pod?

In retrospecti should've pulled the frag out and triple checked that it wasn't a bug, but given how hard it was when I was hitting it with a turkey baster tip, and it's total lack of movement, I just thought I was extremely forgetful and it's always been there. If it's living on that monti, then it made it through a dip, though who knows if the dip would get into that little hole.

Pic when it was a happy monti

PXL_20220130_013141074.jpg

This is the other side though.

Also, nothing else in the frag tank is acting like this at the moment. Polyps extended up the wazoo elsewhere.

Back