Our mission

Bulb Comparison

Bryan and Aldie lent me some bulbs, so tonight I did a color comparison as scientifically as I could. I took a two pictures of my tank with each bulb. One pictures with actinics off, then another with actinics on. I put a white piece of plastic in the tank to have a spot that just reflects the color of the lamps. I also placed a clean neutral gray rock near the top of the tank for the same reason.

My camera was set up as follows:

Image Mode: RAW
Lens: Fixed 50mm
Aperture: F1.8
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO: 200

I converted the RAW images to jpeg using Aperture. The only changes I made were to set the white balance to 6500 Kelvin and no tint.

A note about the white balance: 6500K is the closest thing there is to a standard white balance used for monitor calibration (it's part of the widely used sRGB color space standard) so it's a good bet for making the images appear on screen as they do in real life. It's close to the color of light that the sun emits, which on a sunny day is split by rayleigh scattering into yellow direct light and a blue sky. Because it's the color of the sunlight, we've evolved to perceive it as white.

Digressions on scattering aside, the line up was as follows:

Iwasaki 6500K - This is the bulb that came with my aquarium and cabinet.
Reeflux 10,000K - Bryan lent me two of these. I took photos of both in case they were different. (due to age, for instance)
Ushio 10,000K - Another 10,000K bulb. This one from Aldie.
Hamilton 14,000K - Another pair of bulbs from Bryan.

The actinic lighting is provided by 2 36" VHO Super Actinic R bulbs.
All bulbs are 250W powered by an IceCap ballast.

Now without further ado, the results!

http://www.rgba.net/bulbs.html

And my interpretation:

Iwasaki 6500K-
The Iwasaki is fairly yellow. No surprise there since it's a 6500K bulb. It's not -that- much more yellow than the Ushio, though. Overall not bad but too yellow.

Ushio 10000K -
Nice crisp white color, especially with the actinics on. It feels like solid daytime light to me.

Hamilton 14000K
Bluer, as expected, but also a whole lot more dim. I kind of like the blue, actually, but I don't like how dim it looks. Notice the white reflector in these images. It's a lot darker than in the others, and that came through in person too.

Reeflux 10,000K
These are the bulbs that really surprised me, and not in a good way. They have a really strong pink tink that's way off the black body radiation curve. To me it looks unnaturally red both in the images and in person. I think some of that might be because they aren't new bulbs, but I'm not sure it's not all of it.

Out of these bulbs the Ushio 10,000K is definitely my favorite. I think I would still prefer a little more blue, but it doesn't seem bad. If anyone else has other spare 250W single ended bulbs, especially in the 10,000 to 15,000 K range, I'd love to borrow them and add them to this test!

Erin,

I think one of the Reeflux's was a 12k. You might want to check.

Didn't I get you a XM 20K? I might have accidently had a Hamilton in the box. If so I can get you a 20K for your comparison.

Very nice comparison! It's nice to see pictures of different bulbs on one and the same tank together.

I don't know if it would make a big difference but that Ushio bulb you got from me is brand new. I believe a bulb will change color a bit after a certain "burn in" time?

Hey,
I am setting up a 20 gal tank and want an idea for the one MH I am puttting in. What is the best 20K 175 W bulb to use??? I really like the look of the 20K....... gonna use a single end set up

What's your guys opinion??

[quote author=Elite link=topic=5876.msg73965#msg73965 date=1231779929]
Radium makes 10K bulb now??
[/quote]

Oops! It should have said reeflux. I edited the OP to fix it.

Damn. I even made a setepate trip home because i had originally forgotten the bulbs. Guess I should have looked at them more. I will see if I can dig up the XM and Reeflux 12K.

You are right though I do remember the Reeflux bulbs having a bit of a red tint to them. I think it might me overexagerated though by the age of the bulbs.

They seemed to run real pink on a M58, but less so on my IceCap they were still too pink for me on the IC though.

I'm not too surprised about the Ushio 10k it was my bulb of choice for a looooong time.

I wish my eyes can see what yours can see.. I used 10K reeflux before and it was white and yellowish when it got old to me..

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=5876.msg73970#msg73970 date=1231781248]
Damn. I even made a setepate trip home because i had originally forgotten the bulbs.
[/quote]

I'm sorry you had to make a separate trip!

So given that I really like the bright clean white color of the Ushio but want something that's maybe be a tad bluer, does anyone have suggestions for other bulbs that I really ought to try?

Alternatively, I guess I could just stuff more actinics in the hood. :D

I haven't tried it, but really want to.....Aquaconnect. They are quite $$ though (but supposedly last a lot longer than other bulbs)

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5876.msg73988#msg73988 date=1231784212]
I haven't tried it, but really want to.....Aquaconnect. They are quite $$ though (but supposedly last a lot longer than other bulbs)
[/quote]

IIRC Aquaconnect=Phoenix

Back