Neptune Aquatics

Calcium reactor for 40 gallon

JAR

Any advice?
What model/brand you like?
I'm trying to help a friend who thinks I'm a reef wizard. :)
Also, lf anyone has one for sale that would work.

www.reefkeeping.com there's an article about calcium reactors, and while I don't necessarily buy all the information, it is informative... although doesn't help you on brand.

Recently, I recall some bar members (was it at the BOD meeting?) said that the reef population is shifting away from reactors towards 2-part + dosing pumps. 2part is cheap on a 40g :) Not a reactor answer, but...well...I'm drinking Pellegrino now, so that makes me right. Charles will agree! :p

Hell I think 2 part is cheap on a 180g tank! Now is it cheaper than a calcium reactor? eh... (that was one of the things I had issue with in the article :)).

I am currently running one on my 215 gallon tank that I am happy with.
It's a K2R.
Just wondering if anyone is happy with one for around 40 gallons.

KnopC are on the cheaper end, small footprint, rated for 200G and you can throttle it back by swapping the 1048 for a 1046
Although I have one and a Korallin, don't use them since I do the manual dose and my little tank does not demand lot's of Calcium.
I've been reading on the DIY two part dose and will be trying it maybe later than sooner since I have quite a few containers of A and B
If you want to go for big bucks the Schuran are nice looking little units but as soon as you see one for sale, most likely is already gone.

All the advanced reefers I know still use reactors so it's not that large of a shift, if any at all :)

None of my local friends have ditched em, seems just you guys :lol: Localized indeed, just withing the BOD :p

Is there a real advantage to going to 2 part vs. reactor? I was under the impression that a CA reactor is a more balanced solution since you're actually dissolving full coral skeletons with whatever trace elements and what not in the skeletons as opposed to 2 part where you are only dosing KH and CA.

FWIW, my Geo reactor has been dialed in for months and rock solid. I'm guessing two part has less impact on PH and less up front startup cost though.

Both have their downfalls and upshots.

Thing with CA Reactor is your ALK tends to be more stable then using a 2 part, unless your using a doser and dosing often.

Some systems run a high PH and a CA reactor helps knock that down> that's me :) I use a Nislen reactor as well though.. perfect fit imo Nilsen/CA reactors that is.

I think the shift Tony was talking about is more due to the fact it's easier to get in, so people who are newer to the "automated" game of calcium and alkalinity are going for the 2 part more so than the calcium reactor, if I had a Ca reactor setup there's no way in hell I'd switch.. but then again Tony was drinking Peligrino so he's right regardless of what he meant!

As to the advantages? I think the Ca reactor can be more balanced for the very reasons mentioned, doesn't mean the 2-part is unbalanced, but whenever you need measure two separate items the chance of one having a little more increases. With dosing pumps though as Gresham mentioned, it becomes just as easy to balance things out. However with a calcium reactor if you don't change your pH probes on a regular basis you could very easily get out of whack with that too. But there's upsides and downsides to both. If you have something that works, stick with it :D

For me calcium reactors still seem complicated, everything I've read there's always some part that confuses me to their setup.

My PH runs slightly on the low side, 8 to 8.2, so I use a Nilsen reactor like you do Gresh to help bring the PH up.

The one lesson that I've learned with CA reactors is to always be sure to use a model that has an integrated PH controller. This makes all the difference in the world when it comes to ease of setup. Without a PH controller on the unit, you need to go through a very painful process of timing the effluent drip rate, effluent PH and the CO2 bubble count. This is very difficult because you need to keep everything balanced *and* at the same time match the alk demand from your tank!

With a PH controller on the unit, all you need to do is set a target PH for your effluent, dial the needle valve to output CO2 at a reasonably fast rate (ideally slightly faster than you need to maintain the PH in your reactor) and then let it go. Then you just adjust your effluent drip rate to match your tank's Alk takeup. With a controller, you are adjusting a single variable (eff drip rate) vs. three (eff ph, eff drip, bubble count).

Eight said:
My PH runs slightly on the low side, 8 to 8.2, so I use a Nilsen reactor like you do Gresh to help bring the PH up.

The one lesson that I've learned with CA reactors is to always be sure to use a model that has an integrated PH controller. This makes all the difference in the world when it comes to ease of setup. Without a PH controller on the unit, you need to go through a very painful process of timing the effluent drip rate, effluent PH and the CO2 bubble count. This is very difficult because you need to keep everything balanced *and* at the same time match the alk demand from your tank!

With a PH controller on the unit, all you need to do is set a target PH for your effluent, dial the needle valve to output CO2 at a reasonably fast rate (ideally slightly faster than you need to maintain the PH in your reactor) and then let it go. Then you just adjust your effluent drip rate to match your tank's Alk takeup. With a controller, you are adjusting a single variable (eff drip rate) vs. three (eff ph, eff drip, bubble count).

You are right on with this post!
I do not have an integrated probe in my reactor and it was tedious to get the balance right, Now that I have mastered tinkering with it, I can just glance at the bubble counter and the drip rate and be able to tell if it's not right. I have a PH probe in the tank and if the PH drops below 7.9 then off with the CO2.
My tank is around 8 PH most of the time.

Back