High Tide Aquatics

Can a Brain Coral bounce back?

I was given a brain coral that is receding with hope that I might be able to bring it back from the brink. What do you think, is it possible or is it too late? Anything you can recommend? All suggestions are appreciated and actual experience would be even better.

Thanks!

While it looks REALLY beat up, there is hope. I've had a similar (although not as bleached looking as yours) it came back and now is one of my nicest corals, it's really large & puffy.

Some things to look out for/do

Algae most probably will start forming in the skeleton around it, try to pick out anything large that you can (don't scrub it though!)
At night after the lights have been out for an hour or so see if there are any feeders out and feed meaty foods (start with mysis in a syringe) if you don't see any, defrost some mysis and squirt some of of the juices over it then see if that pops a feeding response.

Thanks! I was just looking up how to care for them now so you saved me some time :) This is my first LPS and it wasn't planned so I haven't done my homework yet.

One other thing, should I be concerned with some sponge growing on the back/bottom?

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2411.msg24449#msg24449 date=1189994709]
While it looks REALLY beat up, there is hope. I've had a similar (although not as bleached looking as yours) it came back and now is one of my nicest corals, it's really large & puffy.

Some things to look out for/do

Algae most probably will start forming in the skeleton around it, try to pick out anything large that you can (don't scrub it though!)
At night after the lights have been out for an hour or so see if there are any feeders out and feed meaty foods (start with mysis in a syringe) if you don't see any, defrost some mysis and squirt some of of the juices over it then see if that pops a feeding response.

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with a little sponge. Generaly sponge are filter feeders(filtering the water). It would be great if you could keep posting here on this thread keeping updates, and posting update pics!!! Good job on the rescue!!

Thanks. I'll make sure I post pics as things change. I'm a little concerned that after 2 nights I have yet to see any sweeping tentacles but I'll keep trying.

[quote author=jkreefer link=topic=2411.msg24461#msg24461 date=1190000554]
Nothing wrong with a little sponge. Generaly sponge are filter feeders(filtering the water). It would be great if you could keep posting here on this thread keeping updates, and posting update pics!!! Good job on the rescue!!
[/quote]

I chummed the water 3 times over the course of 2 hours after the lights when out and no tentacles. I even checked again this morning before the lights came on and still nothing. :(

Ok, don't "chum" the water any more, no sense in fouling the water until you see some signs of being hungry.

Did you see any holes opening on it? Granted brains are an extremely diverse class of corals but mine tends to open up little mouths saying "feed me". Just give it time, and periodically squirt a little bit of mysis on it right after the lights have been out. Eventually, if it survives, it'll learn this feeding response and have feeders out before you squirt food

Ok. I did see some small vents yesterday. I work from home so I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2411.msg24484#msg24484 date=1190041399]
Ok, don't "chum" the water any more, no sense in fouling the water until you see some signs of being hungry.

Did you see any holes opening on it? Granted brains are an extremely diverse class of corals but mine tends to open up little mouths saying "feed me". Just give it time, and periodically squirt a little bit of mysis on it right after the lights have been out. Eventually, if it survives, it'll learn this feeding response and have feeders out before you squirt food

[/quote]

Well as of this morning I compared the brain coral to the picture I took the day I brought it home and so far it has receded slightly more but it had it's vents opened last night so I made sure to dose of Reef Nutrition's 'Arcti Pods' (just picked it up last night for the first time) and even with the lights out a few of Zoa's opened. My fish were even eating it up so I hope that helps. The vents were closed when I woke up this morning so I hope actually got a good meal.

When it has it's vents/mouths (I'm assuming that's what they are called one of the 2) open much like in the picture above. Should I does some zooplankton? I would think the vents/mouths are open the more help I can provide the better. I didn't plan on doing anything like putting it directly in the vents but just in it's general area with the skimmer off.

Back