Neptune Aquatics

Can a pH probe stay submerged in the aquarium instead of in a pH probe storage solution?

I've had some probes just sitting in the tank forever, unconnected to any monitor. I'm sure they are worthless now, but have decided to start using the pH monitor instead of doing test kits. I bought the monitor a decade or more ago when I was running a CA reactor.
So I'm thinking of getting a new probe (any recommendations on brand?) and proper care of the probes seems to be to use it to test whatever, then store it in a storage solution (not just distilled water), then use it to test whatever. However, clearly that is not how us Reefers use them. We stick them in the tank and leave them there until they start to become unreliable.
So my question is ... how long can we a probe be left in a tank or a CA reactor before it needs to be recalibrated or replaced? Would it last longer to store it in the storage solution and actually just dip it in the tank when we want to check parameters instead of just leaving it there constantly reading?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

V

I've had some probes just sitting in the tank forever, unconnected to any monitor. I'm sure they are worthless now, but have decided to start using the pH monitor instead of doing test kits. I bought the monitor a decade or more ago when I was running a CA reactor.
So I'm thinking of getting a new probe (any recommendations on brand?) and proper care of the probes seems to be to use it to test whatever, then store it in a storage solution (not just distilled water), then use it to test whatever. However, clearly that is not how us Reefers use them. We stick them in the tank and leave them there until they start to become unreliable.
So my question is ... how long can we a probe be left in a tank or a CA reactor before it needs to be recalibrated or replaced? Would it last longer to store it in the storage solution and actually just dip it in the tank when we want to check parameters instead of just leaving it there constantly reading?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

V
We store in pH 4.0 solution in the lab indefinitely, but in a tank or when it's in use, you should recalibrate on a regular basis, especially if any biofilm grows on there or if the probes drift over time. We're not going for 0.01 units of accuracy so it's fine for them to go a few months, but it doesn't hurt to check them maybe quarterly. Especially if you're relying on it to make a decision or control something.

But for storage, It's most important for the probes not to dry out. The old ones you have might be fine, just check the slope and zero.

We store in pH 4.0 solution in the lab indefinitely, but in a tank or when it's in use, you should recalibrate on a regular basis, especially if any biofilm grows on there or if the probes drift over time. We're not going for 0.01 units of accuracy so it's fine for them to go a few months, but it doesn't hurt to check them maybe quarterly. Especially if you're relying on it to make a decision or control something.

But for storage, It's most important for the probes not to dry out. The old ones you have might be fine, just check the slope and zero.

Thanks. In a tank, how long does the probe actually last before it's just non-functional, even if you recalibrate it. As I understand it, it has a glass bulb filled with something that eventually just wears out or leeches out or something.

V

I've heard varying things from months to years. If it's in a caustic environment like a kalk reactor it probably will last a shorter amount of time.

It's basically a glass tube with KCl inside and an electrode. The ones in industry go through multiple autoclave cycles so they're pretty sturdy if kept in a proper liquid and not dropped, cracked, or dried out.

Back