Can I leave a clam on eggcrate? Or does it need to sit on rock?

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by Vincerama2, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Supporting Member

I picked up one of the rejected clams (it's brown and not blue) from Apon at the last frag trade. I wasn't planning on it, but I didn't want Arnold stuck with a bunch of "extra" livestock. Had I planned on it, I'd have grabbed a blue one!

Anyway, so not it's sitting on an eggcrate rack that I made for my frags and I'm wondering if clams NEED to sit on rock or a rock-like surface and not on some plastic grid. I believe they like to send out some sort of anchoring threads or something?

Any clam-xperts out there?

Thanks!

V

2. Flagg37

Flagg37 Supporting Member

It’s a maxima right?

3. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

I dont think it matters what you sit it on. If its happy, it will eventually grab hold of whatever its on.

4. NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed Supporting Member

Better egg crate than sand imo. I have failed miserably with clams on sand bed.

They prefer rocks and crevices but egg crate works.

There's someone on R2R with a crazy clam collection...all on egg crates. Sono worries there

It moves because of lightand flow...

5. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

The biggest worry with the egg crate is removing them without significant foot damage.

I stored all of mine in the frag tank. I used deli containers with crushed coral and they all did fine.

I have one that's now attached to a frag disc and another one that has attached itself to the "clam cozy" I made.

6. NanoCrazed

Hah... answer is easy. Don't move it. :D

grizfyrfyter likes this.
  7. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Supporting Member

It would be hard not to move it, the frag rack is makeshift in the main tank. I would want to move it eventually. I guess I'll find something for it to attach to, maybe simpliest to find a broken ceramic plant pot piece?

V

8. NanoCrazed

Move the whole rack and piss off the clam. It'll move eventually. Or clip the part of thr egg crate it's on

ashburn2k likes this.
  9. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

Cutting the pice of egg crate isn't a bad idea.

Some kind of container with crushed coral is how most vendors keep them. No risk of damaging the foot.

10. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

I wasn't aware some people turned down the clams from the group buy, I would have taken the rest of them.

11. Apon

Apon Supporting Member

i use clam craddles. Marine depot sells them. Jestersix too.

12. Apon

Apon Supporting Member

One guy was a no show, so vince helped me out and bought it.

grizfyrfyter likes this.