Jestersix

Can you ID this? good or bad?

alve

I was wondering if someone could tell me what these are. they look like little red worms, move pretty fast. Are these red bugs I always read about or small bristle worms? They don't look like they have any bristles but they are very small. What should I do?
Thanks.

cap.jpg

Thanks guys. I dip everything with Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Cure. I just dip if for 15min, rinse it in clean tank water and it is good to put into my tank?

That is my guess plain old planaria. Not uber harmful and easily treatable if they happened to make their way into your main tank. Dip will take em out before you put them in your tank. Flat worm exit will work if they made their way into your display.

Everyone, that's from my tank I've lived with them for years (decades?) they do not live on the corals, you don't need flatworm exit, a damsel or wrasse will keep them in check.I understand if you want to QT and eradicate them before they go into your display IME if you H2O quality is good they don't reach plague proportions.

alve, Montis do not like TMPCC, try providine that we sell at the meetings it's much less harsh. I use TMPCC on Acros my understanding is that flatworms hate it and drop off immediately so you can catch them before the coral enters you display

Jeremy, it was not my intention to tell anyone who this came from and if someone would have asked I still would not have told that person, I could have gotten this from anyone who gave/sold it to me. I hope I did not offend you with posting this question and picture on the forum.
I just wanted to find out from experienced people on here what I should do before putting it in my display since I have no experience with SPS predators and wasn't sure if you would be on today to check for a pm.

I did use TMPCC and hope I did not harm the Monti. They did come off very easily and the frag is in my tank now. Guess I will have to wait and see how it will do. Thanks again for the very nice frags Jeremy!

[quote author=alve link=topic=3540.msg40397#msg40397 date=1208052158]
Jeremy, it was not my intention to tell anyone who this came from and if someone would have asked I still would not have told that person, I could have gotten this from anyone who gave/sold it to me. I hope I did not offend you with posting this question and picture on the forum.
I just wanted to find out from experienced people on here what I should do before putting it in my display since I have no experience with SPS predators and wasn't sure if you would be on today to check for a pm.

I did use TMPCC and hope I did not harm the Monti. They did come off very easily and the frag is in my tank now. Guess I will have to wait and see how it will do. Thanks again for the very nice frags Jeremy!

[/quote]My skin is pretty thick, I was not offended at all, just wanted to let everyone know I have 'em that's all. You can dip the Monti in TMPCC, just not as long/strong.

I'm glad you like the frags, you'll love the austera!

I have em to. I have no fish to pick them off, and Im afraid to use anything in the tank like flatworm exit, because of unknown affects on cuttlefish. However, they never really cause me any problems. Thier population seems to grow, decrease in waves.

Odd that you say that about TMPCC. I use it for everything and anything that goes in my tanks and haven't seen any ill effects.

I even used it on my setosa.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=3540.msg40404#msg40404 date=1208059927]
Odd that you say that about TMPCC. I use it for everything and anything that goes in my tanks and haven't seen any ill effects.

I even used it on my setosa.
[/quote]They bleach if you forget.......

I already do love that austera! Those polyps are very nicely colored! I found it a good high flow spot in my tank (for now at least until I decide I should change my flow after hearing the presentation today :) ).

I hope I didn't dip it too long. For now I have it on a magnetic frag rack to keep an eye on it, I didn't mount it yet.

Really? Not doubting you as you have way more experience with them then I. I always thought of Monti's as the more hearty bulletproof SPS. I know I have some that I couldn't kill if I tried.

I think the montis are more bulletproof as far as keeping SPS.

But for dipping, I use a lighter dip for a shorter duration than for acros. Even with povidone.

Otherwise they bleach like Jeremy says.

I guess I dipped it too long in the TMPCC :( The wedge shaped frag did bleach, especially at the tip where I had no polyp extension at all. The rest was not bleached as bad and still showed polyps. I cut of the bad part and hoped for the best. Today most of the wedge is a light tan but has blueish polyps showing. Just in the center is a raised area and that part seems to have a dead spot because it has loose tissue or brown algae on it, hard to say. Should I just wait and see what happens or should I cut it even smaller?

You can't kill it, I dare you :D That coral has been with me for many years, it's real tough. There were a few bald patches with a little algae growing on them from a rampaging chalice a while back, other than that leave it be and it will come around.

Great thanks Jeremy! I will leave it as is. I wasn't sure if I could leave the bald patch but now I know. I won't cut it up. I believe it will recover, hasn't gotten any worse since the dip and it shows polyp extension so I am happy with that :)

Back