Cali Kid Corals

Can you put a check valve on flex tubing?

seminolecpa

Past President
I have a JBJ auto topoff with a float switch that goes in a 5 gallon bucket and one in my sump with a flex tube going from my topoff reservior to my sump fed by a maxijet. (Yes ghetto, I know) My issue is that if I fill up my reservior higher then my sump it equalizes the two. Is the best bet to put in a check valve to keep the water where it should be or does someone have another suggestion?

Sorry Bryan I'm having a hard time visualizing this

I am assuming when you say flex tubing you're talking about the clear vinyl tubing? Not sure if they make check-valves that can be affixed to vinyl tubing.

Fwiw - I use a aqualifter to top-off my smaller tank. The pump sits on top of the reservoir which sits two feet away from the sump. There is no siphoning nor back siphoning in this configuration

you could do it. I assume you use 1/2 tubing so you can get a regular check valve, use a reducer on both sides with inside thread where you can screw in one of those (I know Orchard sells them):

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~FT7333~idCategory~FIFTFIHB~category~Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies-Plumbing_Parts-Fittings-Hose_Barb_~vendor~.html

Then connect your tubing on each end with a hose clamp and you should be good to go.

That would probably work. Could be extra careful and make sure the check valve is over the sump or the bucket in case for some reason it leaks. Yes I am that paranoid of leaks.

Wow Gomer that friggin place has everything.

I don't think the check valve will help.

You pump from the resevoir to the sump. If your resevoir level is higher than the sump level, any siphoning will be from resevoir to sump.

Check valve will prevent reverse flow, which is not going to happen in that scenario.

It might help once your resevoir level drops below sump level.

Eileen, Aqualifter can siphon if both hoses are submerged, and the the pump internals fail to seal. When everything is clean and new it's ok, but it's a potential problem.

I use an Aqualifter for kalk topoff. My kalk resevoir is higher than my sump level. I specifically set it up so that it couldn't siphon in case of pump failure. The output of the pump goes through a DIY siphon break.

That would work for your situation, Bryan.

Siphon break looks a little like the piping on a gatevalve mod for a skimmer. Or like a Durso return.

Or like the bottom section of a Hartford loop:

http://www.masterplumbers.com/plumbviews/2001/hartford.asp

You see, this is why I will never be a plumber. You are totally right about the direction. Guess my other option is to run it to the tank instead of the sump.

Hehe... the trades folk say that plumbers only have to know 1 thing... sh#% flows downhill :D

Just use some small pipe or tubing and make a durso type arrangement and hang it over the edge of your sump. The vent at the top will prevent any siphoning.

Correct about the check valve! I never thought about it, just thought about how to attach it to tubing.

Norman, if the edge of the sump is below the water level in the top off reservoir the "hang over the edge" durso you are talking about won't work right? Or am I seeing this wrong?

Now another question about that. The durso would brake the siphon but when the pump comes on and pushes water, won't it flow out of the inlet tee? I can imagine, depending how much pressure there is, that the water also will get pushed up and could come out of the top? You would probably have to extend the top of the inlet T pretty high to avoid this.

As the diameter of the siphon outlet gets smaller, you get more pressure and the water will tend to rise in the vent portion of the assembly.

You can increase the diamter of the piping and/or raise the height of the vent to prevent water from comiing out of the vent.

1/2" PVC pipe should be more than enough if using an MJ1200 pumping against head. Use 3/4" even. That's good for a 300gph drain.

I use rigid air line for my Aqualifter.

You can also run flexible tubing from the top of the vent just into the sump. I do that in case the bottom outlet gets clogged from the kalk dosing. Not really needed for FW top off.

Sorry to repost this but I must have messed something. See the attached for a crude diagram. What the heck am I screwing up. Do I have the durso on the wrong side?

Back