Cali Kid Corals

Canon Lenses

patchin

Supporting Member
I know most of you are Nikon guys, but I have some general kinds of questions.
1) Would you buy a used lense from CL? They only seem to be about 20% cheaper. How would you judge it's optical condition?
2) All I have is the kit lense, which I screwed up at the HMB shoot. We're going to Yellowstone soon and want an all purpose lense that will take wildlife shots. 18-200MM? 70-300IS? Tamrom, Tokina, Canon?
3) Does anyone have one for sale?
Thanks

1) I have. In fact, I just got a macro this way. My sister in law works for canon sales and said that most of the referbs through canon are new dealer returns. The one I got looks absolutely brand new and works perfectly.
2) for wildlife shots, 70-200L is a really well priced lens...get good glass for the money. It comes in several flavors depending on features. I own the basic F4. In retrospect, it would have been nice to have the IS version. of course the 2.8 IS/USM would be the best but the most $$$ :p <70 mm isn't useful for wildlife unless flowers and scenery are part of that category for you (I am thinking more along the lines of animals).Canon did just come out with a 28-200 lens. Not sure how good it is nor the price. I do know that it doesn't list a USM motor which sorta sucks since they focus faster. I've also tried their 75-300 non USM and it blew. great zoom, but not great images and very slow.m I guess I should stop and ask what is your budget? Sure "cheaper is better" but glass lasts. It is an investment so knowign what you can afford is important here.
3) Nope...although technically, I could sell my 70-200 since I hardly have used it lol.

Pick up two lenses: 17-40mm f/4L and the 70-200mm f/4L. These two lenses will ensure that you are able to come back with some decent pictures. If I was traveling I would haul these two lenses around; they're great lenses that doesn't weigh a ton. The 70-200mm f/4L will give you some snaps at a distance and the 17-40mm f/4L will allow you to compose some scenery/landscape shots. It will also serve as your walk around lens.

Canon does have a 18-200mm, but optically it isn't the best (vs. something like the Nikon 18-200mm).

If you are going to teh BOD today and post up here quick enough, I can bring my 70-200 F/4L for you to play with while at the meeting (I can get there a bit earlier). Not necessarily for selling purposes, but so you can get a feel for what this particular lens will do for you.

I've been looking at lenses on CL that were about $500. If you're going to the BOD, can you bring the lense so I can get a feel for it and we can talk.

Eric,
The L on the lense means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, right :D

Gomer sounds good

Yes, BUT the 70-200 F/4L is remarkably cheap compared to most L lenses. The basic model can be had for only $600 brand new! I'll bring mine and will be at ASAP a bit earlier for you.

My favorite lens is the sigma 10-20mm. I have it for my nikon, but I think they make a canon one too. It's so much fun shooting wide. IMO, it just opens up a whole world of interesting perspectives. Like this:

2564901155_9cdcf88c78.jpg

I also think it's great to have a fixed 50mm. They're cheap, small, and have a perspective similar to normal human vision for a natural look. They're also very fast, so you can take much better shots in low light.

Canon has what has been dubbed, the "nifty fifty". Very inexpensive lens which turns into 80mm considering the 1.6 crop (which is a very common portrait FL). Super cheap, and very good image quality (for the price you pay). I think I got mine for like $70 from B&H

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=4552.msg55482#msg55482 date=1221413296]
My favorite lens is the sigma 10-20mm. I have it for my nikon, but I think they make a canon one too. It's so much fun shooting wide. IMO, it just opens up a whole world of interesting perspectives. Like this:

2564901155_9cdcf88c78.jpg

[/quote]I just purchased a Canon 450D and got the 10-22 WA lens. I love shooting with it. Still learing photography so don't have anything to show, but I just got back from Chicago and had a blast shooting in 10mm.

Back