got ethical husbandry?

Carbon and GFO

Hi Guys,

Am I just wasting money using Chemipure Elite instead of bulk carbon and GFO?
I read in Matthew's thread that carbon should be replaced on a monthly basis at the worst.
I change my Chemipure every 3 months. Is that why I'm getting lots of hair algae?

Thanks

Could be, the thing with the Chemi-Pure Elite is that the medias are mixed, so some become exhausted before others. Your best bet is to stick with GFO and carbon and change them out when needed.

Bulk Reef Supply has a good price, otherwise a few of our sponsor sell it in bulk, Neptune, Aquatic Collection, Aquatic Central to name a few.

tuberider said:
Bulk Reef Supply has a good price, otherwise a few of our sponsor sell it in bulk, Neptune, Aquatic Collection, Aquatic Central to name a few.

I get mine from BRS as well (before any of our sponsors carried it). Any of them will do really, as long as you are changing it out on a regularly scheduled basis.

Hey guys,

I got mine from Joe at Aquatic Collections.
My tank is really small...
It's a BC29, so with rocks and everything, it's probably a 20g water in there....
I can't fit a reactor, so I'm probably going to stick with a mesh bag.
How much GFO you think I should use?
Is about 2g per gal OK?
Should I start with lower amount and increase every time I change?

Thanks.

I change my GFO out every two weeks (I don't need to, I just don't like PO4 levels to shift), carbon I run for a few days once a month to polish the water.

I run GFO in a phosban reactor - no idea how much I use...about 1/2 to 3/4 in deep. I change it about every 2nd time I change my carbon or so, not an exact science.
I run my carbon in another phosban reactor and use 2 cups per change - usually every 3-4 weeks.

Phosban is run at ~ 65 GPH and carbon is run at ~175 GPH.

HTH.

-Kyle

Back