Kessil

CBB eating tips?

If that fish didn’t feed at the lfs…it hasn’t eaten in weeks!
Sad for you and the fish
But you did make the lfs happy with the purchase of the fish before it died and the took the lo$$

You should INSIST to see it eat before purchasing

Even those that eats at lfs, they will stop eating once you get to your home, 8 out of 8 times when I bought eating CBB from lfs, they ended up dying. Only ones that survived is the ones I bought from take take downs with existing cbb that has been in the tank for a while.

Even those that eats at lfs, they will stop eating once you get to your home, 8 out of 8 times when I bought eating CBB from lfs, they ended up dying. Only ones that survived is the ones I bought from take take downs with existing cbb that has been in the tank for a while.
I agree with this. I have restarted them eating but it's hit or miss. I normally only recommend someone acquire them from a long time reefer that has had them in their own tank for a long time. I am a firm believer that this is one species that should not be imported.

Supposedly Australians are a bit easier to train however they come in larger if you really want to give it a shot.

Here’s a quick pic of my little one that I’m trying to fatten up. Key to my success also is not having potential competition for food
_DSF6431.jpeg

Last edited:
They’re just super finicky. I’ve tried many times and have given up trying. I’ve got them from LFS, online, from an established tank where it was eating. They are just tough. I don’t even want to admit how many times I’ve tried. Longest I’ve ever kept one is around six months.

Will do, I’m gunna try and head to aquatic collections to get some massticks and I’ll give the clams a try as well
If you're going to aquatic collection I'd pick up some live brine shrimp also if you plan on trying to wean your cbb onto frozen brine or mysis. Masssticks and clams are great options on getting them to eat but you need to decide if that's what you want to feed exclusively going forward.

Also another note on frozen. At the start mine was very particular about eating only the whole looking mysis and brine that were fully intact with head and all. It inspected each piece carefully didn't like the broken bits. My experience has only been with one cbb which i've had a litte bit over a year, so behaviors may differ with others.

Last edited:
If you're going to aquatic collection I'd pick up some live brine shrimp also if you plan on trying to wean your cbb onto frozen brine or mysis. Masssticks and clams are great options on getting them to eat but you need to decide if that's what you want to feed exclusively going forward.

Also another note on frozen. At the start mine was very particular about eating only the whole looking mysis and brine that were fully intact with head and all. It inspected each piece carefully didn't like the broken bits. My experience has only been with one cbb which i've had a litte bit over a year, so behaviors may differ with others.
Live brine. I’ll definitely pick some up. Makes sense I’m assuming because the masstick will eventually get expensive on the pockets? Is live brine cheaper? I don’t mind spending the money I just want to make sure it eats. I hope mines isn’t that picky haha

Live brine. I’ll definitely pick some up. Makes sense I’m assuming because the masstick will eventually get expensive on the pockets? Is live brine cheaper? I don’t mind spending the money I just want to make sure it eats. I hope mines isn’t that picky haha
I think it was $5 a bag AC last time i picked some up, I keep them for about 4 days, three times more than I could feed all of my tanks in 4 days from a single bag if I had to guess. 3 saltwater tanks and even added someone to 2 freshwater ones.

I never researched what it would take to keep them alive longer, but I wouldn't imagine it could be extremely complex as the breeding kits for them are fairly simple. Maybe worth considering if your able to get yours to actually eat them.

I think it was $5 a bag AC last time i picked some up, I keep them for about 4 days, three times more than I could feed all of my tanks in 4 days from a single bag if I had to guess. 3 saltwater tanks and even added someone to 2 freshwater ones.

I never researched what it would take to keep them alive longer, but I wouldn't imagine it could be extremely complex as the breeding kits for them are fairly simple. Maybe worth considering if your able to get yours to actually eat them.
You don’t want to keep them alive really. They won’t be worth anything to the fish at that point

Back