Neptune Aquatics

CBB eating tips?

Don’t buy ANYTHING
Maintenance maintenance maintenance
Grow that garden, feed those fish
How good at this are you?
Buy food, buy water, pay Pg&e
Buy a book
Haha I wish I didn’t have to replace it and just get my money back but he gave me credit so I rather walk out with something than nothing. I don’t intend to buy just to buy. I would like to buy something that can be effective for the tank.

Haha I wish I didn’t have to replace it and just get my money back but he gave me credit so I rather walk out with something than nothing. I don’t intend to buy just to buy. I would like to buy something that can be effective for the tank.
Then get food or a book
The book won’t die, does not require electricity, has pretty pictures of things you like and have interest in, and will inform you

f
I called up violete and he said he would replace the CBB or give me another fish replacement of any kind. Is there anything you guys recommend l should get? I currently have
Blue tang
Yellow peel
Blenny
Wrasse
Pair of clown
Fox face
6 green chromis
Is there anything else I can put in the ya k that you guys recommend?
Taking advice is hard when we first start, but it is the reason (I hope) you've joined BAR. There's a tremendous amount of knowledge here to be shared so it's just up to you whether or not to take it.

You have too many fish for a 56gallon. Period. The bioload is much too high. Adding another fish would not be a great idea.

f

Taking advice is hard when we first start, but it is the reason (I hope) you've joined BAR. There's a tremendous amount of knowledge here to be shared so it's just up to you whether or not to take it.

You have too many fish for a 56gallon. Period. The bioload is much too high. Adding another fish would not be a great idea.
Yes makes sense. I’ll see if I can get some coral from him or hold onto the credit for the time being. Really appreciate the info from all you guys!

f

Question: I always went by the rule of 1/2 of fish per gallon- so for a total volume of 64 gallon (54 DT) I have: 12 fish for a total of 39 inches at full max -so yes over that limit of 32 - but this includes 3 small anthias, 5 small damsels, one dwarf angel, one tiny Molly miller, and couple other smaller fish-but that goby. But no tangs! Or other big fish.

They all get along. And I feed heavy

Question: I always went by the rule of 1/2 of fish per gallon- so for a total volume of 64 gallon (54 DT) I have: 12 fish for a total of 39 inches at full max -so yes over that limit of 32 - but this includes 3 small anthias, 5 small damsels, one dwarf angel, one tiny Molly miller, and couple other smaller fish-but that goby. But no tangs! Or other big fish.

They all get along. And I feed heavy
Very antiquated and bad way to judge fish suitability now. Plenty of books out there list specific tank sizes and ideal inhabitants due to fish behavior not size. A clownfish is only two inches and 1/2 the size of a yellow tang and can be kept in a 10 gallon fine. Does that mean a yellow tang can live in a 20g? Definitely not. That might be an ok back of the napkin estimate for measuring ammonia production and oxygen use, but nothing more.

Very antiquated and bad way to judge fish suitability now. Plenty of books out there list specific tank sizes and ideal inhabitants due to fish behavior not size. A clownfish is only two inches and 1/2 the size of a yellow tang and can be kept in a 10 gallon fine. Does that mean a yellow tang can live in a 20g? Definitely not. That might be an ok back of the napkin estimate for measuring ammonia production and oxygen use, but nothing more.
Duly noted. I do this only for smaller fish like chromis or small damsels. Save the tangs for at least 120g -and even then I’d stick to the smaller tangs such as tomini or bristletooth

Find a home for the blue tang asap. The bigger it gets the harder it will be. Generally people aren’t looking for large fish
Got it, when I bought this tank it came with the tang. I don’t know why I didn’t think about the fox face. I also didn’t think the wrasse would not fit this tank either. I assumed wrasses stay small from pictures and videos that I watched

Got it, when I bought this tank it came with the tang. I don’t know why I didn’t think about the fox face. I also didn’t think the wrasse would not fit this tank either. I assumed wrasses stay small from pictures and videos that I watched
So, quick tip that I found very helpful - LiveAquaria has quick stats on fish final size and minimum gallon sizes for each fish. These aren't perfect but, while you're learning, are a very good rule of thumb*. Another good resource is igreens nano fish guide, which gives a list of fish suitable for tanks to to 30g IIRC.

If you want to go really advanced with planning a stock list, in addition to asking here, there's someone named eatbreakfast on humble fish who is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about fish, and they'll give you feedback on if your stock plan will work.

EDIT: Now with links.

Igreen's nano fish guide: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/
EatBreakfast's humblefish thread: https://humble.fish/community/index...ish-plan-work-post-here-im-here-to-help.5122/

*: One of the exceptions to this are very active fish like tangs. A general rule - which is not agreed upon by everybody, but one that I think is good to follow - is that smaller tangs (bristletooths/etc) require at least a 4' long tank given how active they are, and larger/more active tangs (acanthurus like achilles, etc) require a minimum of 6 feet.

Last edited:
So, quick tip that I found very helpful - LiveAquaria has quick stats on fish final size and minimum gallon sizes for each fish. These aren't perfect but, while you're learning, are a very good rule of thumb. Another good resource is igreens nano fish guide, which gives a list of fish suitable for tanks to to 30g IIRC.

If you want to go really advanced with planning a stock list, in addition to asking here, there's someone named eatbreakfast on humble fish who is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about fish, and they'll give you feedback on if your stock plan will work.

I do use live Aquaria for that purpose. Good to know about the others for future reference.

Just to throw my 2 cents out there.

I train my CBB with live food and feed it from a turkey baster.
transition into frozen mysis from turkey baster
transition into frozen mysis from feeder ring
transition into freeze dry mysis from auto feeder.

now my CBB feed from freeze dry mysis for his daily plus whatever frozen food I feed to the tank.. This way it was easier for me to go on vacation without having someone come over to feed my CBB.

So, quick tip that I found very helpful - LiveAquaria has quick stats on fish final size and minimum gallon sizes for each fish. These aren't perfect but, while you're learning, are a very good rule of thumb*. Another good resource is igreens nano fish guide, which gives a list of fish suitable for tanks to to 30g IIRC.

Igreen's nano fish guide: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/
EatBreakfast's humblefish thread: https://humble.fish/community/index...ish-plan-work-post-here-im-here-to-help.5122/

*: One of the exceptions to this are very active fish like tangs. A general rule - which is not agreed upon by everybody, but one that I think is good to follow - is that smaller tangs (bristletooths/etc) require at least a 4' long tank given how active they are, and larger/more active tangs (acanthurus like achilles, etc) require a minimum of 6 feet.

It seems like LiveAquaria has really "optimistic" minimum tank size suggestions in some (not all) cases - 125g for a PBT, or 180g for a Blonde Naso for example. They're not egregious, usually, but I would generally not trust anyone trying to sell fish.

Huge +1 to eatbreakfast's thread on humble though. That guy knows everything, and he usually responds in just a couple of hours. If I was new I wouldn't even buy a fish without posting to that thread, it's an incredible resource!

It seems like LiveAquaria has really "optimistic" minimum tank size suggestions in some (not all) cases - 125g for a PBT, or 180g for a Blonde Naso for example. They're not egregious, usually, but I would generally not trust anyone trying to sell fish.

Huge +1 to eatbreakfast's thread on humble though. That guy knows everything, and he usually responds in just a couple of hours. If I was new I wouldn't even buy a fish without posting to that thread, it's an incredible resource!
Agreed. I usually used them as a first-pass cutoff ("Okay, my tank is smaller than this, so no; my tank is larger than this, so I need to do more research.").

Very helpful with this info I’m going to check those links out

For fish per tank the LiveAquaria stuff is a great starting place, but that's ll it is -- a starting place. Then you have to look at the species swimming needs. As mentioned clown are fine in a ten simply because they pick a small territory anyway. Tangs of course need at least four feet of swimming room to keep them healthy. You also have to look at whether a species requires sand, lots of rock, caves, etc. Size isn't probably as important as room to swim and feed. For instance, a Marine Betta can get to 7" but would do fine in a 30 gallon because it hangs out under the rocks or caves.

Most importantly though is bioload and there's no science for this. Best bet is to just ask on this board if a fish is appropriate. Some fish are messier than others and have a larger bioload. Fish are great. We want them all, but the truth is the less fish the better in most tanks, and it's then much easier on you taking care of the tank.

This is the best quick reference I've used for 20 years. If you're at Kenny's and want to make an impulse buy, he's got it and other books to quick check when you're there too. Kept me from making more than a few mistake purchases in my past.

1715280962519.png

They almost always have a couple small jawbreaker mushrooms. Their chalices are generally decent.
Check carefully for coral health and beware of any flatworms/aiptasia.

If you want to go by there today I’d be happy to join.

Back