got ethical husbandry?

Center Brace Concerns

Are there concerns about heat or UV light from lighting systems on plastic center braces? Does the light/heat shorten the life span or cause cracking? Should I treat the center brace with something or cut out something to lie on top to shadow it….or just not worry and have a beer.

-Gregory

The heating and cooling will for sure weaken the plastic over time but nothing to really worry about. I had the center brace break on my currently running tank 2 years ago only because I set my spider reflector directly on top of the tank. (stupid i know, I didnnt have my canopy done in time.) But if your lights are up high enough then you shouldnt have anything to worry about. Not sure on the UV part but you should have glass shields if running HQI anyway. Single ended bulbs have the protective glass already. HTH

If you are talking about a plastic brace exposed to lots of heat and UV, I'd start worrying if you are at the 15-20 year mark. (guestimate)

The only times that I've heard of a center brace break was when the person removed the UV filter on a double-ended MH (that's even bad for humans), and another time when a person ran a 400watt mogul like 4 inches from the brace.

Back