Kessil

Chalice Coral Question

Depends on if you have a bunch of bristle worms, sand sifting gobies, or a ton of flow, if not you should be OK, personally I'd mount the frag to a small piece of rubble and have it slightly raised above the sand bed.

I guess this was a dumb question. I just didn't want to mess with it if I didn't have to.
I'll probably remount it this evening.

Thanks

Most of my chalices are on some type of plug and on the sand bed but eventually the plug ends up under the sand. the chalices still gets good growth but ocassionally gets sand on top of it due to cuccumber but within a day or two the sands usually gone. More annoying if anything.

I think I read something about the sand actually being good for them when it gets on top. They take some stuff out of it and puff up to get it off. Let me see if I can find the article.

I'm with Jeremey- best to keep it off the sand a little. My chalice don't seem to get irritated when a little sand gets on them, but I'd worry with a chalice directly on the sand that it wouldn't grow outwards the same way and it could get partially buried & cause tissue irritation. Also could get a 'sand dump' by sand sifting critters as mentioned before.

Thanks for all the input.

I went home at lunch and re-glued it to a frag disc. Lucky I did.
My fish must have broken a frag of tri-color acro off and it dropped into my elegance coral. I was able to rescue that and glue it up as well.
..and....
a piece of torch coral tentacle broke off somehow and was burning up my red gonipora.
I was able to rescue that as well. Sooo much drama...........

Sfork said:
I think I read something about the sand actually being good for them when it gets on top. They take some stuff out of it and puff up to get it off. Let me see if I can find the article.

I would love to see that as my experience is 100% opposite of that. It's also HIGHLY unnatural for them. They don't even live near sand on the reef for the most part. Most reefs don't have sand near them.

GreshamH said:
Sfork said:

I would love to see that as my experience is 100% opposite of that. It's also HIGHLY unnatural for them. They don't even live near sand on the reef for the most part. Most reefs don't have sand near them.

Yeah I thought the reasoning behind them always being on the sand or "shaded" was for the lower light levels,not for collection location duplication.

Back