Reef nutrition

Chalices/acan learnt to live together

I posted this on RC also, double posting it here to get more expert opinions.

I have two frags of chalice mounted on two base rocks next to each other, and the watermelon is next to a orange crush acan. They were mounted there when they were small, and there were more than enough space between them at that time. As they grew, they started touch each other, and it was not pretty. The orange crush killed a big chunck of the watermelon, and the watermellon took out half of the green chalice. But since they were on the base rocks, there was nothing I could do to separate them.

Now the interesting thing is they grew back, and they are totally touch each other again. The strange thing is none of them is hurting any others! Normally, when corals hurt each other, our first reaction is to seperate them. But it seems like it might not be necessary since they seems to learn to live together after the initial battle, at least in this case. Anybody has a theory behind this?

Tony, it might be waiting to explode, but it has been like this for at least a couple of months now. I just went to the tank and took another close look at the corals under flashlight, there is actually very small gaps between the adjacent corals. The polyps on the corals are out, but not onto the neighboring corals that is totally within reach. Could it be the stung coral evolved to be able to defend itself?

Many have reported that their orange crush is peaceful to other corals... until it isn't. It seems that they like to make reefers over-confident about letting them get close to other corals. I'm with Tony on the time-bomb call, but keep us updated. Maybe it will be different in this case.

Tony and Charles, here is the sad proof for your theory. But interestingly the orange crash is not the bad guy, at least not yet.

Wow that is amazing. That is all i can say don't have much experience with this but Good luck if the time bomb explodes and the battle begins.

Is there a way to put something between the two corals to serve as some sort f barrier to prevent them from masacarring one another?

If it were in my tank, I'd use some epoxy putty to build the Great Wall of Epoxy to keep the warring factions apart from each other. Of course they would eventually encrust over the Great Wall. Maybe if you built the wall with an overhand so that the wall itself was shaded, it would make the wall unappealing to encrust on (no light) and they would keep their distance from the wall?

V

Back