Kessil

Check your chillers and plug your fans in...

finalphaze987

Supporting Member
Summer FINALLY came...11 am and already 82 degrees inside the house here in Union City. Looks like i'll be running my AC on overtime today.

Certainly makes me glad I got a chiller. I think a stable temp is very important. Temp changes cause a chain reaction in the water chemistry. Everything from dissolved oxygen levels, to the toxicity of free ammonia. Also it adds more stress if you have another issue, add high pH to the high temps and its even worse.

No AC at my house. AC here in SSF is open the windows and let the wind pass through. Only running the actinics today. :) Back to normal weather tomorrow. :)

rgonzalez said:
Really? Doesn't that create a greenhouse effect?

Depends on the insulation. In my house I leave the windows open at night to get the cool air and then during the day I close the windows and blinds to keep it cool inside. Works till about 5pm when its just too hot and then its to the backyard for lounging next to the pond.

Not sure what you mean. If you mean greenhouse effect in terms of light... it's completely dark...so no? I left a window or two open last night, closed them all back when I left this morning. Place should be cool. More so than leaving everything open IMO.

If referring to O2 levels, then also no. My place would have to be airtight and something either using up the O2 in the air or otherwise releasing CO2...

At least I think... :)

The greenhouse effect is a process by which radiative energy leaving a planetary surface is absorbed by some atmospheric gases, called greenhouse gases. They transfer this energy to other components of the atmosphere, and it is re-radiated in all directions, including back down towards the surface. This transfers energy to the surface and lower atmosphere, so the temperature there is higher than it would be if direct heating by solar radiation were the only warming mechanism [1][2].

This mechanism is fundamentally different from that of an actual greenhouse, which works by isolating warm air inside the structure so that heat is not lost by convection.

So i meant something like that :)

I just buy a big bag of ice for days like today. My house doesn't get hot until about 7PM or so. It also helps that in the city we usually only get 2 or 3 days like this.

A greenhouse effect works in the most basic of senses by visible light coming in,some of it reflects off the surface and goes back out, some of it warms the surface(s), this now warmer surface gives off more infrared radiation which can not escape heating the layers that blocks it, creating a net energy inside said vessel, sun continues to shine so it just builds up over and over again.

Its the same mechanism whether it's the atmosphere of a planet, or the glass on a car/greenhouse/house.

Close the blinds it'll be cooler inside. If you want airflow by all means open a window, but keep the blinds on the south side of the house shut.

It's a balmy 78* inside and 88* outside. I'd say closing everything helps :)

Easiest analogy for greenhouse is get into a car with black leather seats on a day like today

its now 95 outside and inside the house has hit 88.....blowing a fan across the surface water has kept the temp @ 85 but i think its time to turn on the AC....atleast it'll be one less thing to worry about when i head to the pool with the kids..

Psssh the top of our greenhouse ranged from 120F - 160F today!!!! It was high 80's outside and 110 in most spots in the greenhouse itself. Gotta love micro-climates.

Back