Cali Kid Corals

Clams require phyto?

I've wanted a clam for ages but just haven't since I thought clams needed a sandbed (I guess they can just anchor on a rock)..ignorant me. So, then I got thinking on the requirements of them. Sure, lots of light and keeping your alk/Ca up since it is a sponge. But what about phyto? Is it pretty much a requirement on dosing it? I feed my other corals rotifeast and mysis and the only other "stuff" that I put in the water column is whatever I scrap off the acrylic when I clean the tank.

Nope. It helps but not 100% necessary according to Fatheree. Start with a bigger one if you want.

I've had a few small ones that have grown and remain healthy w/out ever having to use phyto.

In my tank, which is not doing well for any LPS or SPS, my clam is looking great. It took a while to get in to a happy position on a rock but he's looked happier and happier. I do have phyto but I only squirt it infrequently (won some in a BAR raffle)

Phyto is definately not needed to keep clams, my little gigas (12") has never tried it in his 2 years in existance. Lots of light is nessesary to feed them, a stable Alk and a healthy supply of Calcium will help them continue to grow, a reactor is a must for long term sucess.

My gigas was only 3 1/2" when I got him from Aquarium Concepts before they moved, Cameron basicly gave him to me because he was bleached and didn't look like he was going to make it, two years later he's forcing me to by a bigger tank ;D, I know he will make 30" before I have to make some hard decisions on what to do with him next.

OOPS! thought you were talking to me ;)

I was talking sorta to all of you. good info. Thanks to all!

When shopping for a clam, I know I need to look out for any signs of pyramid snails, and gaping. WHat else should I looking out for?

The larger of the two, is a Crocea I believe, I think it was about 2 inches when I got it, now it's 5-6 I'd guess, hard to say the mantle is quite large. The other is a Maxima, think it was 1-1.5" when I got it, maybe it's 2-3 inches now, just a guess.

But mind you my tank is far from being pristine, I'm sure when I scrape the brown diatoms off the glass it's dinner time :D

Reaction time from when you wave your hand over the clam to see how fast he closes and opens his shell back up is one of the first things I look at in a clam purchase.

Also I found out the hard way that once you place a Maxima or Crocea you can't change your mind and put him somewhere else a month later, you will rip his foot off and three days later he's tank food.

Tony start with a deresa first - they are the hardiest. about 3 inches is what I would suggest. I use phyto once in a while. What is the closest store to you?

The only close store to me is Aquarium Concepts. Of course, I will be at the BOD which means Atlantis will be down the road. I'd really like to get a nice (but not super expensive) clam to start. I plan on it thriving so it will be a permanent inhabitant. In 1-2 years, I'll have a 3ft "shallow" cube as a display tank cause a frag tank isn't that pretty and this guy will end up there :p

If you're gonna be in the southbay, check out Aquatic Gallery. They had quite a few nice crocea last time I was there for $30-35 each.

Back