Jestersix

Clamy Lighting Question (about clams)

Ok, so on the box for my Red Sea Max, there was a picture with one of those blue clams in the aquarium. I was wondering if 2 55w PC Fluorescent T5s would be enough to keep one...

I doubt it. As an aside, you'd need to consider the following.Clams also need a very stable and established tank for long term success. You'd also need to be dosing Ca and Alk a fair bit since it is a sponge on those. And depending on the age, you'll have to constantly feed it phyto.

BTW, just because it is on the box, doesn't make it right. I've seen box pictures showing a clown fish in a tank with a betta ;)

More importantly then feeding, your tank must be extremely stable for clams. Most people will tell you your tank must be running for 6mths to a year before adding a clam.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5967.msg75447#msg75447 date=1232336140]
T5's shouldn't be in the name list. They are standard ~22" 55watt PC bulbs.
[/quote]

Oh............I thought I was seeing something new......N/M

It says on the red sea max sticker in the water-tight light place...

"Replace with 2 x 55watt T5 Power Compact Fluorescent Lights"

So yes... I am right this time... I can even take a picture... :)

Red sea just labeled it like that to take advantage of the T5 trend. It is actually a PC bulb not a T5 bulbs. PC bulbs are essentially a T5 bulb bent in half.

Yes and no. T5 strickly speaking are 5/8" bulbs. In the hobby, they refer to single linear bulbs. PC bulbs are basically T5's bent in half. The redsea max uses what is refered to in the hobby, as 55watt power compact bulbs

"power compact"
powercompact_bulb_colors_small.jpg

"T5"
t5.jpg

So after looking around Red Sea is really up to some fishy business. Basicly they need a standard stright 4 pin bulb, BUT they have a lot of there customers thinking just like the OP, and every review I find they are saying how they HAVE to use these certian replacement bulbs, when really they could use any regular CF 4 stright pin............

Back