Neptune Aquatics

CO2 Scrubbing

Does anyone here have experience or any thoughts on adding a CO2 scrubber inline to my skimmer air intake? Any Pro's or Cons? Or is this mostly just a waste of money?

I've been thinking about it. With winter coming and windows staying closed it might be worthwhile.

I have noticed a 0.1-0.2 drop in pH during a party when there were 25 - 30 people here. All that breathing!

I've seen diy scrubbers on RC. Real simple. A length of PVC, some caps, a bit of rigid airline and connect to skimmer air intake.

I've also considered Kalkwasser to raise/maintain pH. Seems like there would be more advantages with added Ca and alkalinity.

I'd cut back on the 2part if dosing Kalk. I already have some Kalk so there is really no investment lost if it doesn't work out. I'd add it as part of top off.

I've also considered taking the skimmer air line outside. Great thing about owning a home. You can drill holes wherever you want! ;) Best done when my wife is not home!!!

I'd cut back on the 2part if dosing Kalk. I already have some Kalk so there is really no investment lost if it doesn't work out. I'd add it as part of top off.

I've also considered taking the skimmer air line outside. Great thing about owning a home. You can drill holes wherever you want! ;) Best done when my wife is not home!!!
Yea, no plans for Kalk at this point. However taking the airline outside was a thought of mine, but we're on a main street and the exhaust form diesel trucks is pretty bad during the day, and it would be pulling hot smoggy air during the summer.

Might be a simpler alternative.
A refugium with chaeto, on a split light, might work.
So light one half during the day, the other half during the night. Opaque baffle in between.
Bonus is that filtration might be improved slightly as well.

Might be a simpler alternative.
A refugium with chaeto, on a split light, might work.
So light one half during the day, the other half during the night. Opaque baffle in between.
Bonus is that filtration might be improved slightly as well.
yep had this since day one

yep had this since day one
Hmm.
Between that and a skimmer, I am a bit surprised you have a problem.
What is the turnover between sump/refugium and main tank? Perhaps return pump is undersized?
For that matter, what is your current PH and target PH.

Oh im not having any issues, i was just curious.
Ahh.
Ok, always fun to discuss things.
You can tell my preference : Use algae.
I use an algae scrubber. Not for PH of course, but as a side effect, no CO2 issues.

I can easily answer your first question then: For you, it would be a waste of money. ;)

Back