Jestersix

Completely hard plumb a chiller?

Hey everyone,

I am getting ready to hook up my chiller again (it had the winter off because of a tank move) and due to everything being more exposed I would like to hard plumb the entire chiller loop unless there are compelling reasons why I shouldn't. On an old tank I used a mix of hard pvc with vinyl tubing for the connections to the pump and chiller.

I know that I will be restricting flow and making my pump work harder, and I will try to minimize the turns as much as possible and use 45's for as many turns as possible. I will also be installing ball/gate valves to make disconnecting the pump and/or chiller easy and possible. Head loss isn't an issue here since everything is on or near the floor.

My specific questions are:
  • Can I thread pvc connectors directly into the chiller and pump inlets without worrying too much about leaks?
  • Will the added stress really reduce the life of the pump that significantly?
    Are there any other things to take into consideration other than priming the pump? (it's an external Enhiem)

Any advice, feedback or anecdotal evidence would be much appreciated! Thanks.

I hard plumb all the chillers and works fine. Be sure to use teflon tape on your threaded connections to reduce chances of leaks, and don't over tighten.

SPEARS and other manufacturers state no more then 3 wraps of Teflon tape. More will lead to splitting of the fittings. I like to use a little silicone sealant as well to stop salt creep. Just be careful with that as it acts as a lube and will allow you to over tighten the fitting.

Aslo, if yon can, use dual union ball and gate valves. Makes life MUCH easier.

FWIW I have never not hard plumbed a chiller. Best method IMO, unless you are using a drop in :D

Awesome advice, everyone. I think I know what I'll be doing on the 4th! I have the tape already, but I didn't think of using the silicone, might pick up a tube of that as well when I get the rest of the fittings.

I suggest doing a dry run with the fittings, meaning no tape or silicone at first.

Learn where they want to stop naturally, then when you go to do it, go a few turns more in with the tape and silicone on.

You don't need much silicone. Don't feel like you need to fill every thread. Much of what you use will be pushed out anyways.

Back