Cali Kid Corals

Corals are Getting Eaten

Ok so my tank is a 40 breeder and I have had a coral beauty and a lawnmower blenny for around two years. It has about 35 lbs of live rock and alot of corals mostly zoas/palys, leathers and hammers. So My issue is that certain colonies of zoas are slowly being depleted. At first I was suspect of my coral beauty but have never seen him really nip at zoas consistently, I have done a lights out test. I found a few asterina stars on them and have been removing them ever since but am still unsure if they are the culprit. The main colony I am concerned about I even dipped and nothing fell off but one star.
So now I go back to the coral beauty and watch him very close yesterday and I def saw him nip the toadstool a couple times which annoy it but I dont see any real damage being done. He also nips around very close to the zoas but I just cannot tell if he is eating the zoas or whats in between. The zoas that I see are damaged have missing skirts, close up and never come back. Anyone have any advice on how I can find my zoa eater?

Well, it could certainly be the angel, but it sounds like you're unconvinced. To determine that, just keep doing what you've been doing - watch carefully, as long as it takes.

My vote would be shrimps or crabs if you think it's not the fish. Wake up in the middle of the night after the lights have been out a few hours and hit the tank with a flashlight. See what scurries away.

Also, sometimes zoas just wither/die back on their own.

I have been researching and may think its Zoa pox. How do I know its and and should I use furan 2 dip? Also how does it spread, the affected zoas in my tank are in seperate areas.

Came home and even more were closed it looks as though they are not being eaten but its some type of bacterial infection. My reasoning is because it is only affecting certain types of zoas on mixed colony rocks and not others. The ones closed had a brownish coating which did not look good so I gave them a dip in Coral Revive in clean heated saltwater. Hopefully it helps or I will go pick up something else to do another friday. Fingers crossed...

Brownish coating, like a slime? Hydrogen peroxide dip IIRC helps with that. PM Jeremy (tuberider) and ask him how to do the dip.

Yeah its looks like a brownish coating, but it looks as though the first dip of revive helped so I am going to do another tomorrow. Anyone know how these infections happen?

Back