Corner tank overflow help?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Gonzo, Aug 19, 2010.

1. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

:lol: Ah now that makes sense. He's had the 70 for a few years, it's a project tank (needs a new rim) so if he can find a larger tank that doesn't require replacing the trim I'm pretty sure he'd be all over it :D

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I'll wait to hear what the OG posters says about your offer to him first, I don't want to step on any toes. If he declines I'll bring this to my friend's attention :)

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

iCon; thanks for the offer but I'll keep looking for my unicorn tank :)

4. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Wouldn't a cube require stronger lighting? I'd like to go all LED but wonder if a 4x4x2 would require MH's...

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I am using 2x 250w MH and 2x 48" RB LED strip lights. I don't have the massive amount of $$ it would take to go all LED's and I still am on the fence about how they look over all. I really like MH :)

6. phishphood

phishphood Guest

FWIW, a 400w (or even 250) looks great in a Lumenarc III over a 3'x3'x2' high "cube". 120g IIRC. Man I miss having tanks that size/shape. If you put it in a canopy, putting 4x 4' or 3' actinic t5's w/ indiv reflectors aimed inward at an angle you can get some nice colors.

7. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Well I figure all LED is more money upfront but less when it comes to the monthly electric bill. So the LED's will pay for themselves within a few years.

8. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

For me, since I am a SPS guy, it would take far more then a few years. If I were to do all LEDs and try to match the 2x250w MH I would probably need around 8 white units + 2 or 4 blues. @ $250 a pop you're looking at over two grand. They pull around 48 watts each, so there is not much saving in terms of over all watts. They only thing I really would be saving is cost of new bulbs.