Reef nutrition

Couple shots of the Bay Bridge

One is early in the morning and the other is at noon time.

Feedback is welcome.. 8)

baybridge1-1.jpg

baybridge-1.jpg

:) Thanks.. Here is the info..

Nikon D40X
2008/09/29 01:55:56.9
Compressed RAW (12-bit)
Image Size: Large (3872 x 2592)
Color
Lens: VR 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 18mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Spot
1/2000 sec - F/8
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 400
Optimize Image: Normal
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A

first one seems slightly underexposed. also the horizons are a bit tilted, which doesn't really add anything artistic in my opinion, just makes the landscape shot a little less than perfect. If you straighten the horizons up that would make it pretty cool.

The tops of the bushes on the bottom are a tad distracting in the second picture.

Thanks for the feedback Art 8) ..

I will try to get some more shots next time I go there. What setting should I change to get a better pic of the first one? There weren't a lot of light in the morning. I'm trying to learn how to shoot better in a dark or foggy places.

Here is the setting of the first shot.
Lens: VR 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 18mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
1/640 sec - F/8
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 400
Optimize Image: Normal
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4687.msg57056#msg57056 date=1222750435]
Phong, you should use your first photo as an exercise in photoshop!
[/quote]
Like this??
baybridge2.jpg

it is a start! now see if you can flatten the horizon, and the barrel distortion that is quite noticable at the bottom of the image

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4687.msg57052#msg57052 date=1222749779]
[/quote]

Where is the spot that it's metering on? Perhaps this was up in the clouds which are much brighter. This will make the whole scene darker.

A few things you can do:

1. Use the overall metering so you're not only metering on what you're focus point is on. This is good if you're not using any gradual filters for landscapes.
2. Get a Gradual Neutral Density filter. It's like sunglasses but is darker at the top, and lighter / clear at the bottom. Do a little research on that online. 2filter.com sells an awesome Cokin kit for $55. Well worth it in my opinion. Go for the darkest / soft edge GND you can get.
3. Do a few exposures a few steps up and a few steps down, and you can layer them accordingly. Of course this won't be perfect and requires a bit of photoshop.

Those are just a few suggestions =) I'm sure there are many other ways to do it, but I would venture into Gradual Neutral Density filters (GND) for landscapes, it makes a HUGE difference. For an example of a ridiculously great use of them: http://flickr.com/photos/bigsleep/ <-- this guy uses very little to no photoshop, instead he uses Gradual ND's REALLY well. Do it =)

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4687.msg57059#msg57059 date=1222751482]
it is a start! now see if you can flatten the horizon, and the barrel distortion that is quite noticable at the bottom of the image
[/quote]
I'm not that good in PS yet :( .. I just know the very basic ;D ..

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=4687.msg57060#msg57060 date=1222751591]
[quote author=Elite link=topic=4687.msg57052#msg57052 date=1222749779]
[/quote]

Where is the spot that it's metering on? Perhaps this was up in the clouds which are much brighter. This will make the whole scene darker.

A few things you can do:

1. Use the overall metering so you're not only metering on what you're focus point is on. This is good if you're not using any gradual filters for landscapes.
2. Get a Gradual Neutral Density filter. It's like sunglasses but is darker at the top, and lighter / clear at the bottom. Do a little research on that online. 2filter.com sells an awesome Cokin kit for $55. Well worth it in my opinion. Go for the darkest / soft edge GND you can get.
3. Do a few exposures a few steps up and a few steps down, and you can layer them accordingly. Of course this won't be perfect and requires a bit of photoshop.

Those are just a few suggestions =) I'm sure there are many other ways to do it, but I would venture into Gradual Neutral Density filters (GND) for landscapes, it makes a HUGE difference. For an example of a ridiculously great use of them: http://flickr.com/photos/bigsleep/ <-- this guy uses very little to no photoshop, instead he uses Gradual ND's REALLY well. Do it =)
[/quote]

I don't remember where the spot at. It should be right in the center of the photo. I didn't crop the image.. only resize..

I will look into the filter. I'm suck at PS. That's why I try to get a good shoot when I can. I don't know how to adjust them in PS. I just know some basic stuff.

I think if you brought up the focal length just a hair it would eliminate alot of the barrel distortion.. Even my 17-55 has it at 17mm.. If I shoot it at 18.5-20 it goes away.. I'm not sure about the reason you were spot metering the shots.. When I spot meter it normally means the picture is really backlit and what I'm focusing is slightly shaded.. I'm new to this so hopefully this isn't terribly bad advice..

Back