Jestersix

crazy chalice!

Maybe it is just me but I would want to see that in person before I would ever pay for it. Not saying it is but the colors look way odd and a bit photoshopped to me. If nothing else someone took that shot under some major actinics.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1617849&highlight=acid
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1582925&highlight=acid

Yeah I've seen that around, and while I don't doubt how cool the colors look a few things pop out.

Pictured against a black background, this is going to make the colors more vibrant as a result compared to an acrylic or white sandy bottom.

None of the frags I've seen look like they have more than one color (maybe two) to them, will a coral grow into the same coloration as that if there's none of the algae in that gave those colors? I can imagine they're various colonies of the stuff throughout the coral in different amounts which brings about that "acid trip" effect. But not being an expert on coral morphology I'm not going to completely dismiss it :D

Alicia most likely has it or will have it, since she's a real hound dog for those really cool looking chalices let her experiment with it to see if its worth the money... in 3 years it might be half that price :D

It may or may not be chopped, but a top down shot under pure actinic with back background with nothing to white balance off of...well..lets just call it highly non-representative.

Look at the pics of the "colony" and look at the pics of the frags, they look completely different. Plus the colors seem to have that saturated glow, I'm not buying it.

I'm just saying you can set it up to get an out of the camera shot like that.....in a very missleading and highly non-representative way. No one with that coral will have their's look like that unless they have a black tank, for top viewing, lit by blacklights.

One guy in the RC thread took a picture with it on egg crate, 14k bulb no actinic
acidtrip.jpg

Tropic pic..
awsomechallice%20%5B%5D%20%282%29.jpg

I think it's obvious they were taken under different circumstances as the "yellows" don't show up at all, and the green in the upper quadrant is quite a bit more dark, the main color whatever you want to call it is obviously not as purply either. But that being said I liked the top picture way better :D

I think all these guys got it from KTAR. it was originally called the MELTING POT CHALICE. He showed regular lighting pics as well and it did long pretty good even without attinics or photoshop. But not worth 400-500 that it was going for when it first came out.

Back