Kessil

Crocodile/Alligator Q

Someone's yanking your chain. If there are any they're escaped/released pets for the summer. As cold as it gets there it's very unlikely. They don't do well in snow.

-Gregory

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...
Member species of the family Crocodylidae are large aquatic reptiles that live throughout the tropics in Africa, Asia, the Americas and Australia. Crocodiles tend to congregate in freshwater habitats like Clear Lake, rivers, lakes, wetlands and sometimes in brackish water. They feed mostly on vertebrates like fish, reptiles, and mammals, sometimes on invertebrates like mollusks and crustaceans, depending on species. They are an ancient lineage, and are believed to have changed little since the time of the dinosaurs. They are believed to be 200 million years old whereas dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago; crocodiles survived great extinction.

FYI...
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...
The great white shark, Carcharodon carcharias, also known as great white, white pointer, white shark, or white death, is a large lamniform shark found in coastal surface waters in all major oceans and in Clear Lake
. The great white shark is very well known for its size, with the largest individuals known to have approached or exceeded 6 metres (20 ft) in length and 2,240 kilograms (4,938 lb) in weight.[3] It reaches maturity at around 15 years of age and can have a life span of over 30 years. The great white shark is arguably the world's largest known extant macropredatory fish and is one of the primary predators of marine mammals. It is also known to prey upon a variety of other marine animals including fish, pinnipeds, and seabirds. It is the only surviving species of its genus, Carcharodon.

My wife was told someone spotted what seem to be either a crock or gator; being that some people handle let's call them "pets" sometimes in a very irresponsible way by dumping them in their non-native environment.
Good thing they did not spot a great white !!!

Crocs and great whites in clear lake? Now I've heard it all! I believe wikipedia to be full ofshit or talking about a different clearlake ( think there is one in Florida?)

xcaret said:
My wife was told someone spotted what seem to be either a crock or gator; being that some people handle let's call them "pets" sometimes in a very irresponsible way by dumping them in their non-native environment.
Good thing they did not spot a great white !!!

Most people that have those that get too big, aren't all that big and in the wild they would run from you, not attack you. And as said, they simply can not weather the conditions (average water temp is 40 °F (4 °C) in winter and 76 °F (24 °C) in summer)

You have a better chance of drowning while wearing a clown costume singing "YMCA" and juggling chainsaws then getting bitten by a croc or gator, let alone even seeing one there.

FWIW there are 238 bodies of water called "Clear Lake" in the US :lol:

Pretty sure it's also got a lot of mercury in it, IE don't eat the fish if your pregnant :)

Coral reefer said:
Now I've heard it all! I believe wikipedia to be full ofshit or talking about a different clearlake ( think there is one in Florida?)

I think JAR modified the wiki writeup.

But, I inputted "wiki clear lake alligator" in Google, and this thread is one of the top 10 results. So now, I'm thinking JAR's wiki must be true.

I always have an imagination about these things, Ive seen waaay too much. Swimming at night ... forget it! Ahh illegal ca pets =) your forgetting about the candiru catfish. Dont ever pee in the water, thats how this little guy finds your jewels =P

LordHelmet said:
You'll drown in the weeds long before anything will take a bite out of you in Clear lake.

I can't believe you are talking smack on the FW planted tank guys, if those were corals, we'd be up in arms :D

If they were corals I might believe clearlake to
be a healthy body of water. Tons of mercury and NASTY algae in the water, and outside meth,and foodstamps

Back