Neptune Aquatics

Cutting Down 150G Starfire

Dyngoe

Supporting Member
This is a random thought in hopes of saving what was a really nice deal. Hoping the community might have some useful information.

Currently I have a 150G tank that I bought because it was supposed to be 120G (FT thread here: https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/150g-starfire-w-sump-and-stand-ft.34106/)

Trying to make a diamond out of a bigger diamond. Anyone know of a local shop that could take this tank apart on the sides, cut down a few inches and reassemble? Am I just insane on the labor cost?

This is a random thought in hopes of saving what was a really nice deal. Hoping the community might have some useful information.

Currently I have a 150G tank that I bought because it was supposed to be 120G (FT thread here: https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/150g-starfire-w-sump-and-stand-ft.34106/)

Trying to make a diamond out of a bigger diamond. Anyone know of a local shop that could take this tank apart on the sides, cut down a few inches and reassemble? Am I just insane on the labor cost?
Yes insane. Sorry! 4x2x2 isn’t that hard to come by. You’ll find one soon I bet.

I did cut two tanks before all around; one was an Aqueon 30g, I want to say piece of cake; the second one was an Oceanic, thick glass but can’t remember if at least the front glass was low iron.
Used a borrowed battery powered glass cutting Makita saw and took extremely long, mainly because the battery ran out of charge but the cuts were achieved as planned. After those two projects I bought a Ryobi glass/tile circular saw along with a better blade than the stock and never used it until two weeks ago to cut tile.
I think this saw, with patience, can achieve a project like that

No one will cut starfire glass. It’s very soft. If you find someone. Don’t do it. It will crack. Just sell it and move on.
I’ve heard this many times but I’ve never seen the claim substantiated. My glass vendor lists the same ASTM standards for their regular clear glass as they do for their low iron option. It’s possible that they both meet the standard and regular clear glass just exceeds it, I don’t know. I just can’t find any actual evidence aside from people online claiming it’s softer.

I’ve heard this many times but I’ve never seen the claim substantiated. My glass vendor lists the same ASTM standards for their regular clear glass as they do for their low iron option. It’s possible that they both meet the standard and regular clear glass just exceeds it, I don’t know. I just can’t find any actual evidence aside from people online claiming it’s softer.
Socalireefs.com. Look up emac. Is his screen name. He just rebuilt a 190ish. His build is extremely detailed. He cracked the low iron glass a few times trying to cut it to make a euro brace.
I think he tried to cut the front panel too and it cracked. It was a little while ago since I read about it. The guys in socal rebuild a lot of aquariums. They always say let the professionals cut the glass. I do remember the front glass that he brought as a replacement was 600-800 dollars. Or something like that. It was expensive.
I’ve always had starfire glass. They do scratch easier.

Last edited:
Back