High Tide Aquatics

Dana Riddle Reviews Hanna Checkers

Very timely post.
I just bought a Hanna Alkalinity tester from BRS, and got it yesterday!

I do really like how quick and easy it is to use.

I only had time for one quick test though. 210 ppm (11.75 dkh). Higher than expected,
and higher than I would like if correct.
Interesting how that matches the concerns expressed in the article.
But only one test, and I have not yet compared it to API/Salifert yet, so who knows.

I've been using mine for about 6 months now. Originally I did side by side comparisons with the Salifert and found it a bit high. Approx 1.0dhk higher. So I've targeted 9.5 to 10.5 for my tank using the Hanna. Other than that it's been a great.

-Gregory

I've been tempted to get a few of these, but I can't see myself do getting an alkalinity one, it's just too damn easy to measure with regents and a vial. Put 5mL water in vial, add drops until color changes, count drops you added, that's your dkH. My biggest concern with tank testing isn't how precise it is, but mostly to give me a feel for if something is way out of whack.

I agree with mike. For me the API alk kit is quick, cheap, easy, and pretty accurate. I do want the phosphate checker tho. Never found a test kit I like for phosphate. I was hopin they would change the reagents for it from powder to liquid like they did with the alk checker. From what i recall people liked that change quite a bit. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get it. Been waiting awhile, and it looks like it's real accurate!

As long as the kit works it really doesn't matter what you use. It's just important to find something you will use. For me it made the difference from testing when I thought "it's been too long... better do it" and then having to adjust the Alk. The tank has really prospered because of it.

-Gregory

yeah, I agree. I used to be very lack with water changes because I had to drag (literally drag) a garbage can full of water from my RO unit to next to my tank... then dig out an old pump... then mix... then find a pump with a hose... another garbage can and hose for taking water out... now I got the brutes with the wheels (thanks Bryan!) plumbed with hoses and a pump so it really became a no brainer to do water changes. (then I noticed my salt mix depleted quite a bit quicker :D)

I wish I had made this meeting. I'm trying to decide what I want to do for test kits and I'm considering getting a couple of these. Anything good to know come out of the discussion?

Levi Dana cancelled.... He recieved an award at MACNA and only found out last minute :(

Phos checker is quite good for the price. Alkchecker is not as good as Phos checker. It's absolute reading may be quite inaccurate. For monitoring level changes it's OK.

Back