Kessil

Dangalang's IM Nuvo Fusion 20 Nano

dangalang

Supporting Member
My original plan was to buy a brand new IM Nuvo 15 Cube, but I was able to pick up an IM Nuvo 20 from B the Nano Reefer. Since I have a tank now, I figure I’d start a tank journal. I’ll edit this first post as things move along.

Latest as of 1/2/24:

Equipment
Tank: Innovative Marine Fusion Pro 20
Light: Reefi Uno 2.0
Return Pump: MightyJet 326 GPH DC Return Pump
Heater: Eheim Jager 75w
Heater Controller: Inkbird ITC-308 (Non WiFi version)
Wavemaker: MP10
ATO: AutoAqua Smart AWC Duo G2

Corals
Green Frogspawn RIP
Pink Frogspawn RIP
Green w/ Purple Tips Frogspawn
Purplish Hammer (from @Invictus) RIP
Green Branching Hammer RIP
Gold Branching Hammer
Aussie Ice Tips Branching Hammer RIP
Orange Teal Rhodactis Mushroom
Green Candy Cane
Green Star Polyps
Rasta Zoa (from @Finnaddict)
Titans Zoa (from @Finnaddict)
Bam Bam Zoa
Hellfire Torch
Green with Yellow Tips Torch
Scrambled Egg Zoa (from @Finnaddict) Gave away
Duncan
Pink Goniopora
Teal and Yellow Acan
Red and Blue Acan
Jack O’ Lantern Leptoseris

Livestock
Darwin Clownfish
Wyoming White Clownfish
Tailspot Blenny
Green Clown Goby
Yellow Clown Goby
Tiger Conch
Turbo Snail (x3)
Cerith Snail (x4)
Trochus Snail (x2)
Astrea Snails (x3)

Last edited:
I like corals more than fish so my plan is for this to be a LPS and soft coral tank with minimal livestock.

Here is what I am thinking so far:

Soft Corals
Zoas
Mushrooms
Clove Polyps
Toadstool Leather
GSP (Wall)

LPS
Acans/Micromussa
Blastomussa
Branching Hammer
Torch
Frogspawn
Candy Cane
Favia
Duncan

Other
Rock Flower Anemone

Livestock
One of these or some combination: 2 Clownfish, 1 Firefish, 1 Goby/Pistol Shrimp Pair
CUC as needed

Sounds like a good plan. You could have some interesting inverts in there like crabs or shrimp. In that size of a tank, you might be able to see them more often, too!

New year’s resolution: be better at journal updates!

Here’s what I have added in my tank so far:

Equipment
2 Kessil A80s (from @jstiltne)
Reefi Light Mount
Gravity ATO
MP10

Corals
Green Frogspawn
Pink Frogspawn
Purplish Hammer (from @Invictus)
Green Branching Hammer
Gold Branching Hammer
Orange Teal Rhodactis Mushroom
Rasta Zoa (from @Finnaddict)
Titans Zoa (from @Finnaddict)
Bam Bam Zoa

Livestock
Black and White Clownfish
Whtie Clownfish
Tailspot Blenny
Green Clown Goby
Tiger Conch
Turbo Snail
Cerith Snail (x2)
Trocus Snail (x2)
Hermit Crab

I have a 0.3 pH swing from between night time low and day time high. I would like to maintain pH through the night with Kalkwasser using Kenny's method in this video: How to Elevate Your Ph With Kalkwasser

My daily alkalinity consumption right now is about 0.4 dKH, but I just added a couple corals so I'll need to test again. My evaporation from lights off to lights on (9p to 9a) is around 220ml right now. Assuming my daily alkalinity consumption will be 0.4 dKH, how reliable is this site to use to figure out a dosing amount: https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/KalkContribution.php

Kalkwasser Kalkulation.JPG

I have a 0.3 pH swing from between night time low and day time high. I would like to maintain pH through the night with Kalkwasser using Kenny's method in this video: How to Elevate Your Ph With Kalkwasser

My daily alkalinity consumption right now is about 0.4 dKH, but I just added a couple corals so I'll need to test again. My evaporation from lights off to lights on (9p to 9a) is around 220ml right now. Assuming my daily alkalinity consumption will be 0.4 dKH, how reliable is this site to use to figure out a dosing amount: https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/KalkContribution.php

View attachment 51665
Exactly what I do! It might take a bit of tweaking due to variability in pump calibration and changes in evaporation rate. But once you have it dialed in, it will be pretty reliable. I have noticed that once my kalk gets more than a week old, it really loses potency likely from absorbing CO2 from the room.

The biggest tweak I had to make was starting the drip an hour before my lights went out because I noticed that's where the pH began to drift down after my lights began to ramp. Then keep it going an hour after the lights go on. If you have a pump that can flow that slowly or do metered additions every half hour or so, you'll be in good shape.

I was checking my tank after lights out and noticed what appears to be some sort of sponge under one of my hammer's heads. It kind of looks like a flatworm in color, but it hasn't moved. The hammer is fine so far and is fully extended during the day. Do I need to worry about this type of sponge and/or it's location or can I just let it ride?

PXL_20240108_053355165 resized.jpg

Added a Yellow Clown Goby, a Green w/ Purple Tips Frogspawn, and an Aussie Ice Tips Branching Hammer from the quarantine tank. The Yellow Clown Goby likes to hang out amongst the "trees".

I don't plan on getting any more fish for this size tank, so I'm thinking of turning the quarantine tank into a low maintenance mushroom only setup with a couple of clowns.

Sponge for sure, you can scrape it off if you want or snap off the vermetid to the top right of it.
Scraped sponge and vermetid off last night. Was able to suction up the vermetid, but the sponge pretty much vaporized into dust when I scraped it.

PXL_20240109_221956334 resized.jpg

Survived a 27 hour power outage, I think.

Power went out around 5pm Sunday and came back on around 7pm Monday.

I wrapped the tanks in blankets and towels and hooked up the return pump and the HOB filter on the QT/mushroom tank to small Ryobi battery inverters. That's all I could do with the time I had.

I didn't measure, but I think temps got down to mid to high 60s and I don't think the return pump and HOB filter ran for more than 4 hours on those batteries.

Interesting observations:
  • 4-5 times more hydroid jellyfish on the glass
  • More spirorbid worms everywhere
  • Fish were very skittish, and they were having trouble finding the food, probably needed more time to adjust to light
  • Lower pH than normal, which makes sense with no water movement.
  • Water bottle/gravity ATO is a nice backup to have
All fish seem good. Some corals are pissed, some are looking normal, nothing looks dead or dying, yet.

I added some corals from I got from Corals Farmers Market, LFS’s, and members.

I gave the Rock Flower Anemone and the Tiger Conch away and replaced it with a smaller one. The bigger one was knocking stuff around, especially now that there are some corals on the sand bed.

I started dosing Kalkwasser at night and pH swings 0.2 instead of 0.3. I still have some room to increase the amount dosed. I also added an AquaMaxx Bullet-1 HOB Skimmer set to super dry skim to try to help maintain pH at night, but it doesn’t seem to have any effect. I even have the airline plumbed to an outside window.

I added a Reefi Uno 2.0 light. The Kessil A80s were good, but I wanted some more color pop. I also had to mount the A80s about 4” off the water surface to get decent PAR, which got in the way of tank maintenance and obscured the top-down view, which I think is the best view of the corals. I have the Reefi mounted 12” above the water surface and absolutely love this light. The owner was also helpful with answering any questions I had.

I also added an AutoAqua Smart AWC Duo, for ATO and water change purposes. I have it setup with a 5 gallon jug of RODI for the ATO, a 5 gallon jug for fresh saltwater, and a 5 gallon jug outside of the stand for waster saltwater. ATO is working good so far, no issues. I have the sensors setup to pull 3 cups of water daily, which would give me a ~10% AWC for the week. However, I haven't set it up to water change automatically daily yet, I've been doing it manually just to ensure everything is working correctly.

Livestock Added
Hellfire Torch
Green with Yellow Tips Torch
Scrambled Egg Zoa
Duncan
Pink Goniopora
Teal and Yellow Acan
Red and Blue Acan
Jack O’ Lantern Leptoseris

New Livestock
Tiger Conch (Small)
Turbo Snails
Astrea Snails

PXL_20231110_223249033.jpg

PXL_20240111_012546643.jpg

PXL_20240221_204106303.jpg

Last edited:
A 0.2 pH swing at night is pretty good. Welcome to the ReeFi club! Just a warning, go very low on power and use the acclimation mode until you get the PAR meter, these lights have insane output and could fry your corals if you go too high. Also make sure it's just plugged into a normal surge protector rather than a WiFi controlled power bar or controller. What preset have you been using?

I found my camera washes out purple cause of the strong violet and UV LEDs, so I turn down violet temporarily when taking photos. Then it tends to look really close to real life.

A 0.2 pH swing at night is pretty good. Welcome to the ReeFi club! Just a warning, go very low on power and use the acclimation mode until you get the PAR meter, these lights have insane output and could fry your corals if you go too high. Also make sure it's just plugged into a normal surge protector rather than a WiFi controlled power bar or controller. What preset have you been using?

I found my camera washes out purple cause of the strong violet and UV LEDs, so I turn down violet temporarily when taking photos. Then it tends to look really close to real life.
Yeah, these things are powerful!! I run the Blue profile in the morning and evening and run the PeakLPS2 profile at 61% master during peak, which is 53 watts.

I'll gonna play around with the settings to find a good profile for picture taking.

I'd still run like a 60-100% acclimation over 30 days with these max settings since the spectrum hits a lot of wavelengths not covered by the old lights. I've burnt enough corals to not want it to happen again!

I'd still run like a 60-100% acclimation over 30 days with these max settings since the spectrum hits a lot of wavelengths not covered by the old lights. I've burnt enough corals to not want it to happen again!
Good idea! Didn't think of that, definitely way more wavelengths from all the different LED types compared to the Kessils.

I want to put some coral on the back wall of my tank. I currently have some GSP mounted in the middle that has started to grow up the wall.

My powerhead is positioned on the back of the tank, so the flow is going to be high and direct.

Any suggestions?

I've got a meteor shower cyphastrea I glued on there that's spreading out nicely. The only thing I don't like is the raised spot where the frag started, so I might chisel it off later.

Back