Kessil

Dealing with potential STN?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
I've had multiple acros over the past couple months start to lose flesh. Some arrested themselves and recovered, a couple didn't, and some occasionally get this brown stuff on them (see pictures). I've had a similar issue recently with my Ultron favia.

However, it doesn't affect all of my coral - my homewrecker and WD have been thriving and doing great.

Any suggestions or tips? I thought STN only affected acros so not sure if this is it, but not sure what next steps/what to dip in would be.

PXL_20220321_201005049.jpg

PXL_20220321_200956081.jpg

PXL_20220321_201405160.jpg

My go to for any flesh deterioration is an iodine dip to slow down any infections. It's not a for sure solution but other than removing something attacking the coral or correcting water parameters, it's been the most effective thing I have tried.

My go to for any flesh deterioration is an iodine dip to slow down any infections. It's not a for sure solution but other than removing something attacking the coral or correcting water parameters, it's been the most effective thing I have tried.
Much obliged. How frequently do you dip the coral?

Bare coral skeleton in the middle. I would start spot feeding that coral aminos and reef roids if you want it to grow and recover.

Bare coral skeleton in the middle. I would start spot feeding that coral aminos and reef roids if you want it to grow and recover.
Referring to the favia?

And anything in particular you'd recommend for aminos? I've already been feeding AB+ once every two or three days and phyto most days I'm not doing AB+.

I hear that's good stuff, I use it and also use acropower, but the name says that's for acropora. As you know, I kind of feed everything.

I hear that's good stuff, I use it and also use acropower, but the name says that's for acropora. As you know, I kind of feed everything.
When you said "bare coral skeleton in the middle" were you referring to the favia or the mystery acro?

I've dipped them in Lugol's earlier; I'll be spot feeding every day for a while now.

When I had a few bouts with stn on both acros and hammers I did a dip in coral rx then iodine every couple days with spot feeding. But also u have to decide on fraging a section off the coral that's doesn't have the stn if you wanted to regrow just in case.. I do dip that new frag for a few days..I also run fresh carbon but not sure if that helped or not..Best of luck

Are your nutrients super low?
Phosphate has been around 0.04 - 0.07; nitrates have been between 10-20 ppm. I keep my alk slightly higher (was 9.5 while getting phosphates under control), but I've slowly lowered it to 8.8 - 9 since I know high alk + low nutrients can cause burnt tips.

When I had a few bouts with stn on both acros and hammers I did a dip in coral rx then iodine every couple days with spot feeding. But also u have to decide on fraging a section off the coral that's doesn't have the stn if you wanted to regrow just in case.. I do dip that new frag for a few days..I also run fresh carbon but not sure if that helped or not..Best of luck
Thanks for the tip on fresh carbon. I meant to replace it on Sunday but got away from me with the frag swap. I'm definitely going to be fragging the favia soon to save some, and I'll be keeping an eye on the tips of the other corals to see how it progresses.

Back