Our mission

December 11th BAR meeting featuring Rich Ross

Crabby said:
If you guys want an ultra high-precision salinity test, bring some samples out to my lab sometime...I've got a freeze-point depression osmometer and some calibrated standards. The osmometer is accurate to about plus/minus 1-2 milliosmolar (distilled deionized water = 0 milliosmolar, seawater = 1100 milliosmolar, so this is precise to within 0.2%).

Nice,
I may do that.

Great event. Thanks to all who helped make it so. Rich you are too funny.

Also thanks to those of you who accepted DBTC coral. My tank is less two strawberry basket, temporary frag racks, this evening. My tank looks so 'natural' now.

What a great meeting! From the potluck to chatting with reef friends to Rich's excellent skeptical scientist talk, had a great time. Thanks to the generosity of the sponsors, we came away from the raffle with two frags from Aquatic Central (including the ubiquitous pink chalice) and a big bag of Reef Nutrition products! Woohoo! :D :D Plus I'm acclimating my DBTC mycedium and gonio frags.

Full house today and lots of food! Wish I could have stayed longer to eat and watch the presentation but I had to get the teeth cleaned. :bigsmile:

Yes, quite the spread, and a great presentation!!
Of course, all that eating delayed things a bit, and I could not stay for the raffle.
Hey, have to whine about something. :)

Did not get a chance to argue with Chris about turf scrubbers either. Oh well.
May need to start a thread on that when I am bored.

Jonathan shared some interesting research with me and Bryan regarding algae and bacterial communities.

Good stuff to look into before going ahead with turf scrubbers.

Maybe he can post here or start a new thread.

Hey!
My Ich was gone when I got home from the meeting!
Therefore, A good year end potluck BAR meeting with a talk from Rich Certainly cures Ich! Oh yeah, but I fed them some garlic too.

So Actually, A good year end potluck BAR meeting with a talk from Rich and feeding them some garlic Certainly cures Ich!

But then again... I forgot to turn on my ATO before I left.

So this is a Fact.
A slight increase in salinity during a good year end potluck BAR meeting with a talk from Rich and feeding them some garlic CERTAINLY WITHOUT DOUBT
cures Ich!
You can count on this because I have been battling Ich off and on for 40+ years.
THIS IS 110% GUARANTEED!

:) :D :bigsmile: ;)

I meant to say that folks should take home ginger from the sushi trays for their tanks...

The book I was referring to that is a great introduction to philosophy of science: Alan Chalmers "What is This Thing Called Science" is available at your favorite bookseller, or Amazon.com.

The New Yorker Article is in this week's edition on scientific reproducibility and skepticism.

For the scientific paper on the microbial responses to algal organic matter see here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=19397678

and here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=19017800

For a summary of those scientific papers: THe basic premise is that changes in the environment impact corals through alteration of the types of microbiota and viruses associated with the corals. The microbes and viruses do the damage to the corals. ONe of the important changes in the environment is the amount of organic matter around the corals, which dramatically increases with the presence of algae. It was previously thought that algae impacted corals by physically smothering them, but this research shows that the effects are mediated by biological changes, not just physical changes. Both may play an important role. More research is, of course, always needed...

For (uninformative) fun: http://vodpod.com/watch/1999724-vega-thurber-corals-and-colbert

Back