Our mission

DeFarts' IM 50gal Lagoon Journey

Your aquarium is kinda young and small for a fish like that. You’re gonna have to keep adding pods. Keep an eye on his belly. If it starts to get pinched. Then he’s not getting enough food to eat. They eat a lot of pods.
The one I got from Kenny eats mysis. Start them on Rod's tentacle teasers (fish roe) and turn off flow, then mix in mysis, they'll start going for it.

That’s technically a spotted mandarin as opposed to a green. Sorry to be that guy…

I have the same one, though, also from Kenny! Good luck with yours, he’s a cutie ☺️
Haaa haaa. Oops...I meant to put that I got myself a Spotted Mandarin. I got my wife the "normal" Green. This spotted is in this tank!

Also, don't worry about being "that guy" with me dude. I honestly would prefer to be corrected than to go on aimlessly in my ignorance. But on this one, I did know the difference! Haaa haaa.

Your aquarium is kinda young and small for a fish like that. You’re gonna have to keep adding pods.
That was plan.
Keep an eye on his belly. If it starts to get pinched. Then he’s not getting enough food to eat. They eat a lot of pods.
Thankfully, this guy has been eating lots of different items that Kenny offers him. Also, I have been culturing pods and phyto for the past month! So I've got a decent supply of them. I've already dosed a bottle of tig and tisbe pods since yesterday into the tank. Prior to the dinos outbreak, I had such a large population of pods. But I did have a population crash. So I was worried about that. Kenny helped ease my anxiety by feeding them and watching them. I actually didn't ask to see, he just did it.

Part of my logic for deciding to get one of these, is to encourage me to feed the tank with pods more often, which will also force me to feed with phyto more often for the pods too.

Haaa haaa. Oops...I meant to put that I got myself a Spotted Mandarin. I got my wife the "normal" Green. This spotted is in this tank!

Also, don't worry about being "that guy" with me dude. I honestly would prefer to be corrected than to go on aimlessly in my ignorance. But on this one, I did know the difference! Haaa haaa.

That was plan.

Thankfully, this guy has been eating lots of different items that Kenny offers him. Also, I have been culturing pods and phyto for the past month! So I've got a decent supply of them. I've already dosed a bottle of tig and tisbe pods since yesterday into the tank. Prior to the dinos outbreak, I had such a large population of pods. But I did have a population crash. So I was worried about that. Kenny helped ease my anxiety by feeding them and watching them. I actually didn't ask to see, he just did it.

Part of my logic for deciding to get one of these, is to encourage me to feed the tank with pods more often, which will also force me to feed with phyto more often for the pods too.
Might think about a small fuge in the back if you have room.

The one I got from Kenny eats mysis. Start them on Rod's tentacle teasers (fish roe) and turn off flow, then mix in mysis, they'll start going for it.
This morning, I defrosted some fish roe and mysis in phyto, along with the benepets powder for various corals. I also dosed a bottle of tig pods. When I say my "Feed Corals" command, all my pumps turn off for 40 minutes. I was able to get a couple videos of him swimming around and picking off what are assuming pods and saw him eating a couple small pieces of food! I'm not too worried about this one going hungry. Kenny has had him for over 2 months at this point.

O
That’s if you grow macro algae. You can just have a place where pods and microbes don’t have a predator
Oh. I thought a refugium meant growing the macro algae too. In my back chambers I have multiple pieces of coarse foam. With the intent of it serving the same purpose as a "pod hotel" that I've seen a lot of folks selling. I also have a couple bags of media that is very porous to serve as a sanctuary. Plus I wanted some mature media at the ready, should I ever need it for another tank. That should accomplish what you are talking about right?

@SepToob Here's my wife's dragonette
This beauty is her nem tank, which is a tank I was setting up to be a QT. She commandeered that tank so damn fast after she figured out she really likes nems. Sometimes...we just can't win...
1000008632.jpg

Pretty stoked. I won this via an IG giveaway!
1000009039.jpg

I'd like to get some advice on how I should approach this. Should I do a WC and dose my weekly trace elements, wait a day or two and then take the sample? Should I sample now since I haven't done a water change for a couple weeks which is on purpose for elevated nutrients? Prior to this, I had been doing a weekly 10-20% WC.

Also, my new RODI system just arrived a couple days ago and is not yet installed. Moving forward, the quality of the finished RODI will be significantly better. But for an accurate analysis of the current state of the tank, I should get a sample from my current setup, correct?

ICP have great value to me and I am currently doing them monthly. But there is a time when ICP seem to be less useful, which is when you are making several changes which had not time to take effect.

The two times when they are useful IMO is a) when you have a problem and would like to understand more, or b) when you have everything dialed in and all looks loog and you would like to know how your water looks when everything is doing well to have a baseline, or to confirm that what you are doing is on the right track.

Fauna Marin suggests to take the sample before the WC. Regarding the RO, depends on what you want to know more, but since the RO water could be linked to your ICP results, taking it both from the same setup seems to make sense to me. However, as in my first sentence, maybe now is not the time to take a sample, and if later, you might want to take it from your new RO.

However, as in my first sentence, maybe now is not the time to take a sample, and if later, you might want to take it from your new RO.
Yes. That's where my logic seems to be as well. Recently, with all the dinos issues, I figured it would be good to see what's going on. Buy I'm still dialing in my dosing and overall parameters. So being patient and waiting until I think things are good, then do get the samples. By then, the new ro system and a few water changes will have been implemented. That would be most useful, in the long term view for the tank.

Back