Dick's 150 gal mixed reef

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by F6553066, Oct 23, 2013.

1. F6553066

F6553066 Supporting Member

This tank used to be a fresh water planted tank and I converted it to a mixed reef march 20th of 2013. More info to follow.
  2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Supporting Member

3. Coral reefer

4. Coral reefer

Nice tank dick! Let us know about the equipment and stuff. Including the kessil you won at BAP!
  5. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn BAR Vice President

Nice tank! I'm glad to finally see some photos! I'd love to hear more details about the system.
  6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Ah that explains why he wants to be next in line for the PAR meter :D
  7. F6553066

First of all I want thank "coral reefer" also known as Mike Brown for doing the plumbing and exchanging ideas when I first thought about converting my 150 gallon freshwater tank to a saltwater tank. I started the process around Oct 20012 and learned from my mistake with my current Redsea max 250 that I better get more informed about what makes a succeessful reef aquarium. I started to read everything could by way of the Internet,books, and videos. I also had all the mistakes I made with the red sea max to fall back on. What might seem obvious so the importance of having a well thought plan. My research and past experience helped a great deal.
    The following is how started the build out and the end result.
    My plan encompassed the following: equipment, rock, lighting, water flow, filtration, corals, and fish.
    Rock: I wanted rock that would give me the ability to easily place the corals and provide good water flow though out the aquarium. This is not also easily accomplished. What I did was buy "dead rock" form Bulk Reef Supply. To easily place corals I decided to purchase both their pukani(sp) rock which is very light and porous and shelf rock. To increase the flow I also decided to build a PVC platform with black egg crate. This provided about an inch of space between the bottom of the aquarium and the rock on top. I actually made three platforms so I could change the pattern from just a straight line all the way across the aquarium. I began by placing a layer of shelf rock on top of the egg crate. Next I placed some Pukani rock on the shelf leaving large gups for water flow. Then I placed more shelf rock on the Pukani rock, and continued this process until I reached the top which is the final layer of shelf rock. I now had a great deal of flat surface for the coral placement and also a lot of caves for fish to explore and water movement.

To be continued:
  8. F6553066

Equipment: this is not so straight forward because is seems everyone has their own opinion about what is the best. When I could I went with what the majority agreed on and some retailers I trusted.
    Pumps: MP 40, seasweep with korola 1500 pump, (2) 250 gal. pumps placed on the bottom back corners facing the front, and lastly a 2600 gal. Reef Octopus water blaster return pump. These provide a turn over rate of about 30 to 35 times the tanks volume.
    Lights: I have 3 kessil led lights. I started with 3 350 deep penetration lights and now that I won the kessil 360w I placed it in the middle. So far it appears that the corals like the lights. I have seen good growth with all the various types of coral in the tank. I will looking forward to seeing the readings from the PAR meter.
    Skimmer: this was probably the hardest piece of equipment to decide on. I finally purchased a Skimz skimmer rated at 613 gallons which is 3 times may total water volume. So far it is working as advertised.
    I also have an automatic top off system,dosing pump, 1000 watt heater, and PH meter.

P.S. Forgive some of my spelling errors

To be continued
  9. Kmooresf

Kmooresf Supporting Member

Dick, congrats!! The tank is beautiful.
  10. F6553066

Thank you Kmooresf. A lot of work to this point, but very enjoyable.
  11. Apon

Apon Volunteer

very nice tank.
  12. DeeAnnMG

DeeAnnMG Guest

I got to see this tank in person this weekend. It is gorgeous. Thanks for showing it to me. And it was great meeting you this weekend.
  13. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member