Our mission

Dip or no-dip for trigger and jawfish

Picked up a Niger trigger and a pearly jawfish. Currently temp acclimating as we speak. I have a spare 3g tank sitting around that I can use to dip them. If I do dip it'll either have to be FW or with prazipro. Both fish were not new acquisitions to the LFS and both physically appear healthy etc, no ich visible. QT is out of the question unfortunately. So dip or no dip, and with which one.

JF are known for internal parasites but dipping won't do a darn thing for that.

It's been hanging around the LFS tank for >month or so, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about that as much. Would it be worth it trying to QT it in a small impromptu tank to view?

month isn't long enough for them to be taken care of if no medication was used. Parasites don't normally just go away with time but rather get worse with time. Mine died at ~6 months due to parasites that came in with. No other fish were in the tank so it was easy to say they came in with them.

You learn something new everyday. I wasn't trying to imply that parasites would be taken care of, but more that (wishful thinking) it didn't have any due to lack of symptoms. So in your opinion, twould be better to isolate/QT in a cobbled together tank?

It's best to treat them for such a thing. Mine didn't show signs until the 5th month and the 6th both died :( If you can do a QT and treat them, i would, otherwise just watch and pray :)

Been too long to ask me, hopefully Jeremy chimes in :lol:

I have forgotten so much in the recent years since I no longer handle livestock for a living. 3 years ago I could have rattled this off, now it's all about feed's and what not :lol:

Dip the trigger for sure, eye flukes love triggers :D

AFA the jawfish and internal parasites, good ol' metronidazole in the food works, buy I wouldn't do it unless you formulate the food in a lab setting and are able to QT.

I've heard though that there is going to be a very good reef safe anti parasite food in a LFS near you soon, and I'm not alking about Spectrum which I've had off and on success with, which prolly means it don't work, that and it has a ton of choline ;)

Thanks Jeremy. I'll try to catch and dip the trigger today (no response soon enough last night, so they both went in). AFA the jawfish...we'll watch and see. Maybe when that food hits stores :p

Back