Neptune Aquatics

DIY LED moon light

Well my son and I are putting together a tank for his room and we will be using retrofit lighting so I while I was shopping timers at Lowe's (that's a whole other thread...) I found this..

It's a basic night light with a light sensor and single led. I looked it over and figured for 6$ why not.
DIYmoonlight01.jpg

So I proceeded to take it apart and it was simple, I just popped the top off and took out the 5 screws.
DIYmoonlight02.jpg

I then proceeded to....
1) cut the plug off the bottom
2) drilled a whole in the side and inserted an old plug I had
3) fed the 4 stripped wires out the plug whole on the bottom
4) re-secured led board and wire nutted the plug

DIYmoonlight03.jpg

Well now it was just missing a way to mount it. Lucky for me I had some scrap PVC laying around from another project so cut a circle mickey moused some wholes to mount it
DIYmoonlight04.jpg

I'm still deciding if I want to do anything to make this water tight so I don't have to worry about moisture. Should I be concerned ? ? ?

I say it depends where you're mounting it. Does it have a decent chance of being splashed a lot? Is your canopy completely closed and often very humid inside? If you just want to be on the safe side, go ahead and smear some silicon over all the openings. I mean, it can't hurt.

[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=4856.msg59229#msg59229 date=1224185270]
I saw those LED at OSH in Milpitas at $2.50 for a pack of 2. It has the PG&E logo on it.[/quote]
Geeze thanks, now I want my $3.50 back :)

Back