Jestersix

Do Duncans Grow Sweepers? - UPDATED with Pics

Everything I’ve read on them says they’re pretty peaceful…..but I placed a blasto close to but “up-wind” of it about a week ago and there’s a new type of tentacle growth. They’re a little thicker that the regular ones and come to a blunt oval head not a tapered one. They’re also coloured a really bright green as opposed to the kinda light celery green of the regular tentacles. Need I move it?

-Gregory

Weird but is the "tentacle like" thing coming off of the actual Duncan or the skeleton? If it's on the actual skeleton might be something else growing on it.

Being a peaceful coral does not mean has to share its personal space with others, just give it little extra room to stretch.

xcaret said:
Weird but is the "tentacle like" thing coming off of the actual Duncan or the skeleton? If it's on the actual skeleton might be something else growing on it.

Being a peaceful coral does not mean has to share its personal space with others, just give it little extra room to stretch.

They're growing from the actual duncan polyp....two of the polyps have them so far (4 head frag).

-Gregory

Don't think my duncans ever emitted sweepers besides their tentacles.
DSC_020130.jpg

CSC_0134.jpg

When I think of sweeper I think longer and thinner. I also think of night time rather than daylight. Are they sending these up at night too? I have not kept duncan coral in a couple years, but they seemed to close up at night or down to very short. They always had the same length around the polyp, so no sweepers.

Not sure where I got this idea of what sweepers are except collected from reading forums about coral.

They only really come out at mid-photo period. At night they shrink up with the rest of the polyp. They are getting longer each day. Two of the 4 polyps have them. They don't seem to be very flexable. As you can see in the pic they are standing stright up perpendicular to the current.

I'm not familiar with chalice ot favia sweepers.......they remind me of fat euphillia sweepers.

-Gregory

Back