Do I have dinoflagellates?

Discussion in 'Other Reef Talk' started by itsacrispy, Sep 26, 2017.

1. itsacrispy

itsacrispy Supporting Member

I sort of have this spread out over multiple threads and I apologize for that. I tested my phosphates this afternoon and it came back with 1.6ppm which is super high. I have no idea why the phosphates are so high, as I mentioned I only have a 1 clownfish and 1 xenia coral and I feed the tank sparingly. I do have suspicions that even though I am reading 0 ppm on the TDS meter, my RODI water might be more "off" than I think.

2. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

Before I'd get started on a new tank I'd try to narrow it down. Testing RODI water is easy. Find a BAR member near you or an LFS near you. The truth though is most water in the Bay Area is exceptional and even a TDS of 25 isn't going to cause your issue most of the time. There's also plenty of us that feed 3 and 4 times a day and don't have a phosphate issue.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  3. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Where did you get the rock?
    It can be loaded with phosphates.
    Perhaps from previous tank.
    If dry, sometimes it is dug up in a quarry, and loaded with farm fertilizer.

DEATH BY SNU SNU likes this.
  4. itsacrispy

I got the rock from a local store, it’s a synthetic rock but I forgot the exact name. The lfs had the rock in a live rock tank.

5. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Given all the info, most likely source of phosphates was fish food.
    A fun rule of thumb: The fish needs to eat about their eyeball size in food each day. (carnivores)
    For a single clown fish, that is maybe 6-8 or so small pellets ideally : 3-4 twice per day.
    Not all food is the same. Some has a LOT more phosphates than others.

6. DEATH BY SNU SNU

DEATH BY SNU SNU Supporting Member

I had to learn this the hard way too.... When i noticed my shrimp pellet food was 30% protein I knew I had a problem...so now I only feed food that is around 50% protein or more.

7. itsacrispy

Thanks. I've been feeding San Francisco Bay Brand frozen brine shrimp and cyclops, I cut off a quarter portion from both cubes and melt the in a small cup of tank water, then I dump everything into the tank. But judging by what rygh said, I definitely overfed even if it was just twice a week.