Jestersix

do you think it will hold?

Kensington Reefer

Supporting Member
So I have a 300 gallon acrylic 96"x30"x24"h that I need to fill and text for leaks.
I have 2 150gal rubbermaid bins.
My thought is to turn the 2 tubs upside down and put the tank on top of them
thoughts on the strength of the tubs?

1) I'm assuming you mean empty, but are you intending to water test?
2) My 300 gallon acrylic tank, 3/4" thick, is the same dimensions and comes in just north of 300 pounds. Would the bins hold, sure, probably, for a while, in an unstable manner, if you don't do any water testing. If one of them does start to collapse it's going to go all the way hough.

If it were me I'd use some wooden blocks (or boards cut to 2'-3' sections), or even cement blocks plus some plywood instead.

I just re-read the OP. The first time I read it as "fix and test for leaks" not "fill and test for leaks". In light of that NO, IT WILL NOT HOLD. Why not just put it on a few foam blocks on the floor then use a small pump (or a garden hose to the outside if you have a hill handy) to drain it? If you're on a remotely planar surface (or shimmed to be on one) a strip of foam every 4-6" will be sufficient as a support surface. Likely even less, but no sense pushing things.

I probably have enough chunks and strips of pink foam left over from shipping my tank out here if you want to come by and borrow them for a while, if not a hardware store and 20 minutes with a razor blade solves the problem.

It would probably crush the bins, the strength of those Rubbermaids is in the cross sectional strength to hold against the water pressure, a vertical load of that kind of weight would likely crush them.

Sounds like a great viral video.
If you do it, make sure to film the "fun".
I actually think there is a decent chance the bins might hold though. Yes, even 2500 pounds.
Plastic columns can be surprisingly strong in compression if forces are balanced perfectly.
And those big commercial bins are tough.

Another option:
Are you testing for structural, or just pinholes in the seams.
You can just put a couple of inches of water in it, and flip it around.
Test normal + on face + on back.

Me:
I would probably dig a level spot in the dirt, and put down a 3/4 sheet of Styrofoam wall insulation.
That foam is cheap.

Sounds like a great viral video.
If you do it, make sure to film the "fun".
I actually think there is a decent chance the bins might hold though. Yes, even 2500 pounds.
Plastic columns can be surprisingly strong in compression if forces are balanced perfectly.
And those big commercial bins are tough.
Really?.... I’m not an engineer but I would take the under on this bet all day long!

I’m not sure which bins you’re planning on using but my kids flip my bins upside down and climb on them and they squash ever time.

I guess bin was not a good term. I knew what you meant since I recently used one for my tank reboot.
A little kid will definitely not squash one of those playing on it.
They are designed to hold 1200 pounds, while getting bumped from large stock animals.
Each would "only" need to hold about 1500 pounds.
Maybe ... even probably.
The concern is if ground is not level and load gets unbalanced.

You have a relatively flat concrete deck area that should fit it, don't you?
Put an inch of sand or dirt down and make it level, then put a layer of styrofoam on top.

Back