Cali Kid Corals

Does this look like aiptasia or xenia?

Hi Everyone,

Does this look like aiptasia or xenia?

I'm not familiar enough with either one to identify. I know aiptasia is not a good thing. If it is xenia, is this desirable or should I get rid of it?

I would appreciate any removal tips as well if I need to remove/eliminate this coral.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2378.JPG

Looks like aiptasia.

Before you start. Cutting aiptasia can result in even more aiptasia. In my opinion i would take that rock out break off a small piece of the rock that the aiptasia is attached to. Dip and rinse it in a bucket of rodi or old tank water to knock off any aiptasia bits.

If the rock is too big to take out then i would use other methods.

Usually when I get aptasia its only one head. And then another appears. That to me looks like multiple heads. Any way to get a better pic?

Pics a little blurry but the way its growing looks like Xenia to me. especially the fuzzy tentacles it can spread and be a nuisance like aptasia though

The stalks make me think aptasia but the heads look more like xenia. What you could do for a low cost treatment is get a small syringe with a needle and inject vinegar into the oral disc. Leave all your pumps on and if it's a smaller tank you might want to split it up into multiple doses. I've done a little over 40ml worth in one sitting in my 60gal without any issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These also look alot like brown......clove polyps, maybe anthelia. I would still try to get rid of them especially if you dont like them.

Google image search " anthelia coral "

Last edited:
They Look Like some xenias because of the tentacles. Xenias tentacles have like a Christmas tree look and Apitasia tentacles should be smooth. You should feed it a small fish food pellet and if you see them digest the whole thing and it sticks to the tentacle and look aggressive then its a Apitasia. Hard to tell from your photo. Apitasia should be brown in color not like a pearl white color like xenias.

Looks like Xenia to me.
Some love Xenia, some hate it.

My suggestion: If unsure, get rid of it.
You can always add Xenia later, if you want it. And then you can place it properly as well.

Back