Our mission

Drainage Tiles

Anyone know a local source for drainage tiles? They are like interlocking rubber tiles, except they have holes through them so water can drain through.

Like the kind you see in restaurant kitchens? What are you using them for? And uh no, don't know, maybe a restaurant supply store?

I am going to stick them under my tank so when I spill water, it will be easy to air dry. Yes like the ones in commercial kitchens.

Email Matt Wandell or see his Reef Builders post on this very subject.

Yeah, I was going to suggest Matt as well, while I don't buy the fact that they could support a tank full of water, they do look like decent things to have for slippery floors.

Do the math :) They will indeed support tanks :D

I've worked numerous years in restaurants/food service in the past. I've seen them with much heavier equipment on them and they still retained the beads/pegs shape.

GreshamH said:
Do the math :) They will indeed support tanks :D

I've worked numerous years in restaurants/food service in the past. I've seen them with much heavier equipment on them and they still retained the beads/pegs shape.

+1, not to mention the first executive chef I worked under, if they can support his aggro fat ass, they can support anything :D

I don't understand how these will help with water spillage. Wont it just pool under the tiles and leave salt stains?

Here is the article from reefbuilders that Gresham mentioned:
http://reefbuilders.com/2010/04/28/dridek-rubber-matting-save-carpet-hardwood-possibly-marriage/

Was thinking of getting these for an elos setup. The difference here compared to most setups, is that almost all the weight is transfered to the floor by the left and right walls (http://www.reefbuilders.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/elos-stand-hinge.jpg) The back wall doesn't make contact with the ground. The front edge looks to be more for torsional support.

..so...lets do math on the fly!

According to Jesse, the stand weighs around 150lbs (iirc) and the tank will weigh around 500lb full.(sump isn;t supported by stand..open bottom)
The contact surface area is (29.5-27.125)*22.5=53.4 sqin
This equates to a nominal 12lb/sqin

The Dri-Dek tiles http://reefbuilders.com/2010/04/28/dridek-rubber-matting-save-carpet-hardwood-possibly-marriage/
Looks to have 289 (17x17) nubs over 12sqft or 2nubs per sq in. Each nub looks to be about 1/8" or 0.0123 sq in each

The elos stand will distribute 650lbs over 107 nubs or (650/(107*0.0123) = 493lb/sq in

Assuming I didn't make a math blunder, the weight/area goes WAY up (at least for my situation)

I moved my tank to a slightly different location while it is torn down for BB. When I moved the tank, I noticed some slight rust marks on my floors, and I am guessing that the salt water corroded the bolts under my stand or something. Hope these mats prevent this.

Anyone know how to get rust stains off flooring?

what kind of flooring? could use anything from soft scrub to vinegar to baking soda to muriatic acid....toothpaste and toothbrush has always done wonders.

Back