Cali Kid Corals

Drilled tank

patchin

Supporting Member
If I decide to set up my 40x16x20 glass tank with an upper right drilled hole, what plumbing or skimming method would you use to return the water to the sump?

Install an external overflow like this Steve. Put the skimmer in the sump. Get a Eheim pump for return.

dscn10391cv.jpg

dscn10404gq.jpg

tank8za.jpg

tank23cr.jpg

tank33vl.jpg

tank49ew.jpg

How is that overflow held on? If it's silicone that scares me. If you don't mind losing a little bit of space you should just do an internal overflow. Either way you gotta drill glass.

Hiep, think about how glass tanks are made (hell go one step further, higher end ones without that plastic brace around the top and bottom)... then think about how those walls are held together under the weight of all the tank watwer. Silicone is more than adequate for an external overflow as long as you let it cure.

[quote author=hiepatitis link=topic=4110.msg49210#msg49210 date=1216192309]
How is that overflow held on? If it's silicone that scares me. If you don't mind losing a little bit of space you should just do an internal overflow. Either way you gotta drill glass.
[/quote]

It's very strong man. You can actually lift up the tank just by holding on the overflow box.

Steve, it sounds like you could either use the 1 drilled whole for an overflow to a back mounted box (like Phong's pics) or you could just use a strainer in that whole and PVC right down to your sump. The box will give you more options to keep things quiet plus you could route water to different places or just have redundant drains if you are worried about clogging. I'd say since you have a dry tank, why not put a few more wholes in it? :) You could use the whole on the right for your return (maybe a 2nd on the left if you want) then put a couple in the middle for your overflow. I'm actually trying to work on an acrylic 29g now and planing on doing something similar to what Phong's pics.

Back